Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog Training Birmingham UK

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Johnny1987, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Johnny1987

Johnny1987 PetForums Newbie

Hi Guys,

I am looking for a dog training school for my 8 month old alaskan malamute. Over the last month or so his behaviour has gradually got worse, he doesnt listen very much to commands and is aggressive towards my family. He is very possessive and this culminated in him biting my brother on the wrist this morning over a sock. My family now want me to get rid of the Malamute but i am determined to find a way to prove to them that he can be an easy going fun loving dog. To date i have taken him to puppy classes when he was born and have applied all the methods taught to me on a daily consistent basis.

Can anyone recommend a dog school where he can go and learn? Is there anywhere in Birmingham that you guys can recommend?

Thanks

Johnny

2. ouesi

ouesi Guest

@Twiggy @smokeybear ?? Any suggestions?

OP, what methods have you tried so far? What did they teach you to do in puppy class?

3. Johnny1987

Hi,

It was the basic; sit, down, recall, things like that. Other then that, any other issue i have had i have been referring to someone called Zack George on youtube. My mal was responding to most things quite quickly but lately he has shut down on me. Today he bit my brother so i guess i am not the right person to train him.

4. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Hrm... Zac George is not one of my favorites. Kikopup, domesticated manners, are better resources.
    A trainer won't train the dog for you, the trainer will teach you how to train your dog most effectively.

How bad was the bite? Was there broken skin?

simplysardonic and Sarah1983 like this.
  5. Johnny1987

Yes i understand, i most definetly need some guidance and help as i am really struggling and dont want to lose my dog.

Yes there was broken skin on the hand, two gashes with blood. I wouldnt say they were very deep, but blood was drawn and my brother has lost all confidence with the dog.

6. ouesi

ouesi Guest

While you're waiting to get a good professional to work with, definitely keep the dog separated from others. Baby gates, a crate IF he is crate trained (don't just shove him in a crate if he's not used to it), separate rooms etc. I don't blame your brother for not trusting him, keep them separated from each other.
    Might be worth starting some muzzle training too. There are good videos on youtube on how to introduce a muzzle so that he is comfortable wearing it.

7. Johnny1987

Yea he has his own house outside where he goes to do his own thing, so keeping him seperated wont be an issue.

Is this a sign of my dog trying to assert dominance over my family? Or is this theory? There seems to be differing opinions on this but im one to believe that hierarchy exists. I am the only one my dog obeys, and even then that is hit and miss.

Is this the right time to try and go back to basics again? I have tried to crate the pup when he was a baby but he didnt like it much, would bang on the door and eventually would refuse to sleep in it. He had a few bad experiences where his teeth would get stuck in the mesh and he would scream until i could get him loose so i dont think he will accept a crate at the moment.

I need help !

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice