Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

dog trainer behaviorist in launceston area?

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by codyann, Mar 28, 2011.

1. codyann

codyann PetForums Senior

hi i am looking for a dog trainer and or behaviorist in launceston cornwall, i have tried google but nothing has really come up i had message a lady earlier but the price she was asking was a bit too much and a bit far to travel. i was wondering if anyone knows of any around my area.

2. tripod

tripod PetForums VIP

What is the issue you need help with? That way I will have more of an idea of the org that will best help you :)

3. codyann

codyann PetForums Senior

i have a 1 and a half year old chihuahua who keeps trying to go for dogs and sometimes people i think its due to fear, and if she gets too scared she will pee.
    thanks

4. tripod

tripod PetForums VIP

5. codyann

codyann PetForums Senior

dont mean to sound silly but.. what do i do ring up teh vet and tell them about her behaviour? and i dont have roxi insured.

6. tripod

tripod PetForums VIP

When fears are the issue the first priority is to rule out any medical causes. Speak to your vet about a behaviour referral.

7. codyann

codyann PetForums Senior

i know that there is nothing medically wrong with her as she has had a check up about a month ago and she is in perfect health. i will give the vet a call and see about a referral

8. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

Yes, but did she have a check specifically with fear behaviour in mind? The vet has to know what he is looking for. Once you have ruled out any medical problems, you can find a behaviourist on the link that Tripod has given. Sometimes they need a vet referral, sometimes they don't. I have found a lot of chihuahas suffer from fear aggression. Perhaps it is because everything around them is so big, who knows?

9. codyann

codyann PetForums Senior

when we was at the vets i said about her being scared of everything and that she goes for other dogs and he just checked her over and said she is fine and in great health, i have read that they are very yappy but the thing that i worry about is her nipping a dog and that dog turning on her, i know she is a very unsecure dog as i have had 2 vets say that to me about her, i want to be able to take her out and not worry about her going for dogs and people. but i have never heard of a behaviour referral till today :confused:

10. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

A lot of vets nowadays have their own behaviourist on site, but some don't and some wouldn't know where to start. It all depends on the vet and how up to date they are with these things, I think. Have a look on that list, but don't expect them to be cheap. These are qualified people with degrees in animal behaviour, not Jo Bloggs up the road who has been watching the Dog Whisperer! This little dog is obviously fearful and the last thing he needs is some idiot telling you it is domination or some other such outdated crap.

Give one of them a ring of that list, and see what they say.

11. codyann

codyann PetForums Senior

yeah i know they wont be :( but it will be a start i just want her to be happy. thanks :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice