Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog Tick

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Raini, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Raini

Raini PetForums Member

Hi All,

Just after some advice please. I've just found a tick on Harvey (it's on his neck) and I'm not sure whether to try & remove it myself or wait until I can get into the vets tomorrow? He was due an Advantix tomorrow so I've given him that today and he seems OK in himself - slightly more skittish than normal but OH was away last night & I think it might be to do with that. He doesn't really like the vet so it will be a struggle for them to get the tick off him but they know what they're doing and I'm really worried I could make it worse :(

Just been reading on the t'internet about how poorly ticks can make dogs & I've got myself a bit worked up & worried about leaving it til tomorrow! I've checked him all over & can't find anymore. He's appetite is normally & he's curled up asleep at the moment which is normal for him.

So what do you guys advise?

Thanks in advance

2. pearltheplank

pearltheplank PetForums VIP

If you are not confident about removing the tick yourself then leave it to the vet. It will not hurt him to leave overnight and it will only take seconds for the vet to whip out.

3. Raini

Raini PetForums Member

Thanks Pearl, think I will leave it for the vet to do. (I'm such a worrywart!)

4. Rolosmum

Rolosmum PetForums VIP

I googled ticks the other day and it said they have to be attached for 24+ hours to start passing on anything nasty. So tomorrow if you need the vet to do it should be fine.

I must say if it was one of mine although I have bought a tick remover I probably would be going to the vet for the first one and paying a lot of attention and getting advice so that i knew how to try myself the next time.

5. Phoenix&Charlie'sMum

Phoenix&Charlie'sMum PetForums VIP

Put a lump of vaseline on top of it, it hopefully should sufocate (sorry cant spell that) and fall off. If its still there in the morning, take him to the vets.

I have become a pro at using tick pulls, as my boys get quite a few around summer time :rolleyes:

6. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

If you leave the head still attached which can happen if you are not careful or havent got a proper tick remover, it can cause more problems, and would then still need the vet to remove it more likely anyway. So it may be best to take him in the morning.

It is mostly certain types of ticks that are on the continent that cause the real problems and diseases. Its not totally unheard of here, but a lot less common.

7. lucysnewmum

lucysnewmum PetForums Senior

8. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

Or you can get a tick picker from p@h. Get the vet to show you how to remove one because it's important you remove the head otherwise infection can set in. ;)

9. Jonesey

Jonesey PetForums VIP

I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole! But I am squeamish that way, I won't even cut Biscuit's nails. :eek:

10. anne123

anne123 PetForums Junior

Although I use Advantix, I asked my vet about tick removal and he told me to dab surgical spirit onto it, this will kill it and can then be easily removed. (haven't needed to do it yet tho).

11. Raini

Raini PetForums Member

Thanks all for the info & help. I found another one on him last night after I posted. I called the vet this morning and booked an appointment but about 20 minutes after that I found a dead tick on the bed (lovely!!! :eek:) so I called the vets back and asked them if they thought the other tick would fall out dead and they said it should do but may not so she advised me to cancel today's appointment and make one for tomorrow but cancel it if the tick falls out.
    My main reservation for not taking Harvey to the vets is he gets really scared in the consultation room - he's fine in the waiting room. I am trying to take him there randomly when they aren't busy so he goes into the room and nothing happens to him and last time he actually walked in himself - a massive step as his belly is normally flat on the floor & I have to carry him in. But if the tick is still there tomorrow lunch time I'll be taking him in to get it removed.
    Thanks again

12. pearltheplank

pearltheplank PetForums VIP

I have no idea what dog Harvey is but does he go to a groomer at all? Or do you have a local one?

Most groomers are adept at removing ticks and it may be a less scary environment. Maybe something to consider?

13. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Don't do either of these!
    It makes the tick regurgitate into the dog's bloodstream, making the transmission of Lyme disease or other nasties more likely.

14. Helbo

Helbo PetForums VIP

I was told to get the tick drunk by dabbing it with a cotton bud full of whiskey so that it'll fall asleep and it makes them easier to pull out.

But if I ever find one I'm heading to the vet.

15. Raini

Raini PetForums Member

He's a Border Terrier and not keen on being too manhandled - although extremely affectionate, a real lap dog and not at all aggressive! He doesn't go to a groomers as I hand strip him myself, but that is helpful to think about thank you - at the least something he wouldn't be expecting them to do!

That's what I'm worried about Burrowzig, I'm sure somethings work but if I don't do it properly I know I'll make it worse. Problem is I've been taking him to the woods most days recently for a good long walk and I'm assuming that's where he's picked them up from. And as I don't really want to stop going there I guess I'm going to have to learn what to do to get them off him :(

16. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

You could invest in a tick hook, its what the vets use and perfectly safe.

Smothering, squeezing, or pulling a tick will either result in regurgitation, or the head coming off and being left in the dog.

Tbh, a nurse can remove a tick, takes about 5 seconds and should be really cheap, or free imo. We used to take them off for nothing and at most, would offer to sell the owner a tick hook, and advise them of the correct usage.

I remember removing over 200 ticks from a hedgehog once.

17. Raini

Raini PetForums Member

Blimely! Thank goodness it isn't that bad! :p

I will ask the vets about what I good do or use to get them out. I have to get him some Droncit today so I was thinking of taking him in as they've been very good about letting me take him into the consultation room when they're quiet to try & ease some of his fear, might help with tomorrow.

18. bagpuss4

bagpuss4 PetForums Member

found the 1st tick on Baxter tonight whilst putting thornit in his ear- He was scratching a lot more than ever - looked in his ear and the blighter was walking around in it - well it got killed pronto. nasty wee s*****. I ended up with Lyme's as i missed a tick at the back of my knee was in for a week till i felt ill and my knee blew up with a big red circle. Don't want the same to happen to him.

he had frontline 2 weeks ago i,m hoping it will do what its supposed to and protect him from ticks!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice