UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Somethings been niggling at me for a while. I'm aware if we go to the vets all treatment is done with us present. This can include X-rays whatever although only one person and obviously with "protection". If a dog is having an operation we are with them until they are asleep. Obviously not present during the op or initial wake up though. When Benny had his eye stitches removed we were also present despite the fact he had to be muzzled to do so and involved some quite forceful handling.

I get the impression from some previous threads that we are lucky to be able to do this, staying with the dogs. Is this the case?

·
Registered
16,645 Posts
Somethings been niggling at me for a while. I'm aware if we go to the vets all treatment is done with us present. This can include X-rays whatever although only one person and obviously with "protection". If a dog is having an operation we are with them until they are asleep. Obviously not present during the op or initial wake up though. When Benny had his eye stitches removed we were also present despite the fact he had to be muzzled to do so and involved some quite forceful handling.

I get the impression from some previous threads that we are lucky to be able to do this, staying with the dogs. Is this the case?
It sure is, we have to leave them for x-rays and not many vets will allow you to stay when they are being sedated.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I accept that I cant be there during the operations but I would refuse any other treatment or examinations being done without me being present! If they tried to stop they would have a fight on their hands and Id tell them what they could do with their services and go elsewhere!

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Yes, very unusual. I've never been to a practice that let you stay with them while sedated or x-rayed. Have even had the animals taken out the room for basic treatments like shaving fur to get to a wound, blood tests etc.

·
Registered
8,888 Posts
Not sure what my vet does, I have a feeling they wouldnt want your present for some things but they know Kes is anxious around strangers and needs reassurance so it would probably be best if I were there.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I will stay with my dogs for certain things, but sometimes i think owners being present can have a negative effect on the dog, not always positive IMO.

Sometimes if the dog is difficult and very attached to the owner then it is easier for the vets to allow owners to stay with the dog. But i think sometimes owners do get in the way slightly and do have a negative effect on the dog at times which is why i dont always stay with my dogs depending on their moods and what is being done.

·
Still missing my boys
42,322 Posts
I trust my vet and so does Alfie, so I see no reason to insist on being there.

Might be different if he didn't happily go trotting off with them :)

·
Banned
19,241 Posts

I don't think many vets will invite you to be present. In fact they would rather take the dog away. But I have always insisted on staying, especially till they are asleep. The dogs would be frightened enough without being whisked away without knowing why.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I've never been in the position to need my usual vet for operations so i wouldnt know what their procedure is, but when Maple had an operation on her foot i stayed with her and held her leg while the vet operated on it, and i stayed with her until she came around. He was not a vet from a vetinary surgery, he has his own surgery down the road from me and he treats my greyhounds, so the situation was different.

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
Our vets take them to be sedated, as ops are done in the afternoon unless emergency, so tthey are kennelled until their op.

·
Registered
13,811 Posts
That's why I like my vet, have been with them for around five years now and are allowed to stay if we want. When Marty was castrated they did it on a Saturday for us because Mart is scared of the vets and not so much noise at the weekend. They brought in another vet because there has to be two on duty apparently in case of problems. We stayed with him while he was anaesthetised, intubated and even helped lift him on the table. They called us as they began to wake him up and we were there as he came round.

We couldn't ask for a better vet but the only problem I have with that practice is they don't have someone there overnight, a vet just pops in twice to check the patients so if it's an emergency (like when Teebs had to stay in) I go to the animal hospital - for everything else though they see 'Uncle Hugh'! :)

·
Registered
10,428 Posts
At the vets we use for the little dogs we leave them with the vets. All the vets and the nurses and receptionists love the iggies or the twiglets as they have been renamed.

When Buck had his leg pinned he stayed at the vets from monday morning to wednesday night he loved it. A nurse came out with a form asking what he ate and his likes and dislikes. As he was eating raw at the time she asked if chicken was ok as they could get him some raw chicken from the shop. When he was discharged after 10 weeks the receptionists there dognapped him as they didn't want him to go.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Yep, my vets like them checked in at 8am and then dont operate until after morning surgery, so they are sat in cages waiting. When I took my elderly cat recently for his op, I was really frantic about this, knowing he would wonder where he was and what was going on. Personally, I would like to have been with him until he went in for his op. Poor little might must have been terrified and he is wary of strangers.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
My two adore the vets but not cages which the vet know. I stay for routine stuff ie blood but when my girl was booked in to be spayed, they allowed me to drop her off five mins before so she wouldn't be sat in a cage all morning
She was more than happy to toddle off with the nurse :D

·
Registered
772 Posts
It sure is, we have to leave them for x-rays and not many vets will allow you to stay when they are being sedated.
Not always the way. I had to spend 10 minutes at the vets waiting for the dog to fall asleep once sedated as the vets wouldn't let me go until he was!! He is a big wuss and scared of needles so although I brought him in muzzled and held him for the jab in the reception I then had to go in the back and wait with him.

·
Registered
361 Posts
When Sox had to be sedated after he tore his dew claw, we were allowed to stay with him until he drifted off to sleep. He finds the Vets very stressful and having us there helped him to calm down as the drugs took effect. Poor guy :( It was awful to watch, I couldn't help but cry. I think I'd have been worse if I hadn't cuddled him as he fell asleep though.

·
Registered
14,451 Posts
Well it is with my dogs.

After my old vet retired 2.1/2 years ago I tried several practices and that was the first question I asked: 'Will I be allowed to stay with my dogs until they are asleep and immediately they start to come round?'.

I have to say the vets I'm with now have bent over backwards to accomodate me and I was even invited to watch my rescue collie being spayed keyhole procedure.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
When Dex had to be sedated for X-rays, I told the vet that I would be sitting in the waiting room and that I was not leaving the surgery until he was ready to come home with me. We'd been warned there was going to be a fairly long wait but once I'd said that, strangely they decided to take Dex in first..... I hadn't said it for that reason, of course but was delighted that Dex was being seen straight away.

Guess they didn't like the thought of me being there all morning in their waiting room!

I've always been with Dex for other vet things and would never agree to leave him there unless I was there too.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
My vet treats me as an intelligent person and includes me in all the dogs treatment ..He likes owners to stay and hold their pets while he takes temp/urine samples/bloods gives vaccinations ect..

I held Benny Oscar and Remy while they were sedated for surgury and I was there as they woke up..My vet likes it if you bring them in with a blanket or towel that smells of home..

Ive looked at samples under the microscope so that he can better explain what the problem was....
Ive been present at ultrasound exams for Bennys bladder and when Oscars heart film was done..His only comment as he traced the problem was 'are you seeing what Im seeing'? He then went on to explain what the problem was and even got out a text book to compare with a healthy example....so I could see the difference

I know my vet is very good and the fact that he includes me in every step of the treatment makes me trust him even more..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.