Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog Tags - what BY LAW should you have on it?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by finoni9, Feb 10, 2012.

1. finoni9

finoni9 PetForums VIP

I was looking at buying a dog tag and it said by law the minimum it should have on it is Owner's Surname, House No and Postcode? Is this now law?

I usually only have my phone number on it? (also saw one that said "I am chipped" and thought it would be good to have that on one side and my tel no on the other side).

2. purrr

purrr PetForums Senior

i read somewhere cant remember where that a dog must have a tag by law, if its true i dont know,
    i wouldn't put your dog's name on it but would put your phone number and maybe house number with post code but not street address

3. StaffsRmisunderstood

Bentleys tag has on one side BENTLEY and on the other side just my address and mobile tel num,, he is chipped and does hav the i am chipped tag ive never heard there was a law now?? :confused:

4. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

It has been the law SINCE 1992 ie 10 years ago that ALL dogs MUST wear legally compliant ID

The Control of Dogs Order 1992 mandates that any dog in a public place must wear a collar with the name and address of the owner engraved or written on it, or engraved on a tag. Your postcode is optional (but we would strongly advise that you include it), and your telephone number is also optional (but advisable).

You can be fined up to £5,000 if your dog does not wear an identification tag.

Dog Identification Tags - The Kennel Club

5. IndysMamma

IndysMamma PetForums VIP

from Control of Dogs Act 1992

Biggles' tag has his name (if they are close enough to read it they already have control of my dog and having a friend that works in a county pound made me realise how much easier it makes things for rescue workers if they can call him by name - lowers stress/anxiety and increases their control without necessarily going for a control pole) and 'I am Microchipped' on front, back has my surname, house number and postcode and my mobile number - if I have lost Biggles I want people to reach me on moby as I'm out searching for him!

6. finoni9

finoni9 PetForums VIP

Good idea for reason to have his name on - I was always told NOT to put it on as it makes it easier for thieves to pass them off as their own dog if they know their name but I guess it does make it less stressful for the dog if found by responsible people.

7. rottiemum

rottiemum PetForums VIP

I don't know what year you think it is :eek: but that actually makes it 20 years ago! :p (sorry, it had to be said) ;)

Mine has our surname, home address, both our mobile numbers, home number and 'neutered' and 'microchipped'. :)

8. purrr

purrr PetForums Senior

blimey i didnt know that i thought when i read about it a while ago that it was just like the old silly laws i think know il be getting too id tags

9. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

:D
    It was TRULY a typo, not a senior moment (although at this time of day on a Friday, it could well have been) :)

10. kodakkuki

kodakkuki PetForums VIP

my kids have their name on one side and 'i'm lost- please call mommy!' on the other side with my mobile number (as they Should never be out without me, so i'll be searching for them- not sitting in the house!)
    i used to have 'i am chipped' on it, but then this time thought to myself, if they have their collar on, then the mobile number is there for contact- if the collar isn't on, not much point telling people the dog is chipped on it. my spayed kids also have a i am spayed tag (with bambi being only 3lbs ive had poeple walk up to me in the street and ask if she is entire if they could buy her to breed teacups :( :mad: :eek: so i'm not taking chances on that!)

11. astro2011

astro2011 PetForums VIP

I don't have Astros name on his incase someone did try to steal him - like they would get through me anyway lol!

Mines has my full address on one side and contact numbers on the other side.

12. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

My two have my name, our full postal address and telephone number :D

only because i did the KC puppy foundation with chester , thats when found out what i needed by law and we would have failed if it had been incorrect.....before that it was their name and my telephone number

13. IndysMamma

IndysMamma PetForums VIP

I keep the I Am Microchipped on there as the microchip has much more info on it

also it may help deter thieves a little as they can remove a tag but if they want to keep him? when they go to a vet - vets are supposed to scan all new dogs for a chip and they'll see he's registered to someone else and I would have that chip flagged as the dog being stolen

14. Mine have Im chipped & neutered and useless to theives on one side and my dogs name first line of address and postcode on the otherside.

I found a dog once with just the first line of adderess and phone number on. If I had my phone I would of called there and then but I had left it at home. I noticed the addess was only two roads away from where we were so I took her to the address and was greeted by his elderly owner who was very pleased I had brought him home to her but the worrying thing was she hadn't even realised he had got out of the garden.

15. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

1 you are in breach of the law
    2 microchipping does not deter theft
    3 the information on a chip is only useful if it

a) falls into the right hands
    b) the person has a chip reader

4 if you had a collar and tag on your dog and say I found it, I could reunite you and your dog immediately. Without it, the dog would be picked up by the dog warden and you would have to pay to get it back and of course be put at risk of being fined.

But if you are happy with all that, that is fine.

16. IndysMamma

IndysMamma PetForums VIP

I checked - extra information is permissable on the tag - I said in a previous post about it having my surname, house number, postcode on it as well as my mobile number

it also has the I Am Microchipped on it if you notice the word 'may' is in there - the knowledge that my dog is electronically tagged *may* deter thieves

Also the I Am Microchipped alerts pound/warden/vet to scan - and if they don't find it in the neck/shoulder area if it has wandered then they know there *is* a chip to find and can be more thorough - one my cat's chip is nearly at his elbow!

it's like I have his name on there - not a legal requirement and some people advise against it but through studying animal management I ended up making friends with people who work in the council pound kennals and with the dog warden - they have said that they find their job much easier if they can call the dog by name straight away - it's less stressful for the dog as they can give reasurrance and commands punctuated with the dogs name. According too them it reduces their risk of getting bitten and reduces the need to use 'control poles' on the dogs.

17. kaz25

kaz25 PetForums VIP

I've just ordered one for Bindi which will have the same as Benny's does;

Surname, postcode, my mob, OH's mob on one side and vet with number and "I'm Microchipped" on the other side.

18. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

oops did not read your original post. :blush::blush::blush:

19. IndysMamma

IndysMamma PetForums VIP

lol - that's what I figured so just thought instead of getting offended just re-explain :p

20. purrr

purrr PetForums Senior

is there any good web sites that do id tags as mine dont have them and im getting them asap as i dont want the fine im looking at ebay but there aint that many on there plus a few have really bad feed back about the seller getting the info wrong etc so dont want to take a chance

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice