Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog Tag Advice

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by katla, Sep 9, 2020.

1. katla

katla PetForums Junior

We're getting a working cocker spaniel soon and I'm looking at ID tags. Our puppy's parents are both quite small, so I don't want to buy a tag that's going to be too big/heavy and get in the way or annoy him.

How much does size matter?

I'm thinking of getting a 33mm one or a 39mm one. How much difference will it make to our pup?

I really want to be able to fit all the crucial information on there and for it to be easy to read, and I want the tag to be durable.

These are the tags I'm currently looking at, but I'd appreciate any recommendations anyone might have for good tags!

Also, how many tags should I buy? Is it enough to have one for the collar and one for the harness? Or is it wise to get spares?

Torin. likes this.
  2. Bobbie

Bobbie PetForums VIP

I got a blue bone shaped tag which fitted all the important info on our neighbours dog has a pink heart shape one

katla likes this.
  3. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

I had a bone shaped one from Pets at Home with just OUR name, first line of address, post code and I've been micro-chipped, stamped on it. Don't put your Puppies name on it.

katla likes this.
  4. PawsOnMe

PawsOnMe PetForums VIP

katla likes this.
  5. katla

katla PetForums Junior

I do like the bone shaped ones for their width - I have a lot of characters in my surname and in my address (the name of our road is quite long) and they tend to fit better on bone shaped tags!

Thanks for the link! I think I'll go with these. I can just about fit "surname, 2 phone numbers, house number & street, postcode, and 'chipped'" on the small one. I really like that identitag show you how many characters your're working with! :)

PawsOnMe likes this.
  6. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

Cadvan currently has one of these that's round:
    https://www.collarsandtags.co.uk/pet-tags/plastic-tags.html

And one of these:
    https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/534277096/agility-and-working-dog-slip-on-id

The plastic ones are less hardwearing in terms of friction though, so you need to keep more of an eye on them. I previously had him a round brass one, but the place I bought it from went bust and I couldn't find another company who had a suitable size where they did black infill during the time period I needed it. Just metal without infill can end up pretty hard to read over time.

Re. size, I would measure some coins or otherwise cut out some card to see. I find being able to physically see the size much more helpful than the theoretical.

katla likes this.
  7. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

I've got Flexitags https://www.flexitags.co.uk/ for mine. They don't dangle so can't get caught up and fall off. In my experience the split rings seem to get caught on things with some dogs. Puzzle lost 2 tags in the space of a month so I got one that went flat onto the collar instead. They are also really useful for putting on harnesses rather than having another dangly tag.

katla likes this.
  8. katla

katla PetForums Junior

Yeah I've heard the plastic ones can wear through, they do look good in terms of legibility though. My dream is to start attending agility classes when our pup is old enough, so I know I'll need a slip-on ID at some point - hadn't thought to look on etsy though! I've bookmarked it for later :)

Yeah I've read about split rings getting caught. It is a real concern since our dog will be on the smaller side and therefore that much closer to the ground and everything it'll be able to get caught in. These look so practical and they're such a great idea. Based on the thickness of the collar I'd have to get the small tag and I just worry that I won't be able to fit much on there. The harness will suit a larger size though, so I'll definitely get one of these to put on the harness instead of a dangley tag! Thanks for the recommendation :)

9. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

If you plan to use a crate, I've heard of the bone shaped tags getting caught in the wires, so they may not be the best choice.

katla likes this.
  10. katla

katla PetForums Junior

I had no idea :eek: we're going to use a crate at night initially (to avoid accidents so that pup can alert us when he needs to go) and later on for when we stay with family. This had not crossed my mind though - I'll stick to round tags to stay on the safe side!

11. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

katla likes this.
  12. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

A few years ago, a dog in a local boarding kennels was found dead with its collar tag stuck in the corner of his run. But you can always remove collars at night or when the dog's unattended.

katla likes this.
  13. katla

katla PetForums Junior

Oh I really like how much text fits on these!

I can't even bear the thought of this - poor dog. Such an awful way to go.

We're not going to keep his collar on when he's in the house, but I think I might just go with a slide on tag anyway to avoid any accidents like this ever happening.

#13 katla, Sep 10, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
  14. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

I had a look at the Indigo dog tags before I bought from etsy, but the website is so dated with so many broken links that I assumed they were no longer trading. I have a 15mm tag and it has 6 lines of text on (longest line is 15 characters and 2 spaces), so if you went bigger I think you'd manage to get a huge amount of info on. I'm completely converted by the style! I went with them rather than Flexitags because a) nice smart design rather than garish colours and b) tiny dog noodley neck and the flexitag dimensions didn't work with our collar specifications haha. I'd have thought that a wocker-sized neck would give you more flexibility, especially when adult.

katla likes this.
  15. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I haven't had any from Indigo in a while, but bought 2 from the Engraving Studio a couple of months back, and very pleased with them. The ones I got are designed to go on rolled leather collars and fit perfectly.

katla likes this.
  16. DanWalkersmum

DanWalkersmum watching the world go by

Another vote for flexitags, I bought two so we have a spare, they were so cheap, but haven't needed it yet.

katla likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice