Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog suddenly passed away and vet did not know what was wrong with him

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Max1204, Jun 7, 2018.

1. Max1204

Max1204 PetForums Newbie

Hi,

My 11 year old patterdale dog sadly passed away on Saturday after the vet advised us to put him down and I just wanted to see if anyone had any idea what could of caused this sudden death if I describe the symptoms and the case to you as the vet did not know. My dog became ill on Thursday night after being perfectly fine on Thursday morning. We took him to the vet on the Friday to which they informed us that it was likely a stomach bug and to wait 24 hours to see if he gets any better and make sure we give him lots of fluids (he also received a sickness jab and fluids at the vets). He did not get any better and actually got worse meaning we took him back to the vets on Saturday morning. The vets were still unsure what was wrong so they carried out some blood tests and an X-Ray, and kept him in where he was on a drip and provided antibiotics in case it was an infection. The vet called us in the afternoon to inform us that the X-Ray had revealed that he had bladder stones (he had these before) but were not developed enough to block the passage but would need to have them removed ASAP (I don't think this was what caused him to be like this as he had these before and did not show these symptoms or as severely) and he had a mass in his stomach but they did not know what this was. We then gave the go ahead to conduct the surgery to remove the bladder stones and see what this stomach mass was; however, the vet then told us that my dog had taken a turn for the worse and his symptoms were progressively deteriorating (he went from not having a temperature on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday morning to it now being really high), low pulse etc. and said he would not likely survive the surgery and advised us to see him and say our goodbyes. As you can tell, it was a mystery and the vets did not have a clue which annoys me greatly and I feel they could have done more. I just want to know what happened to him.

The symptoms of his illness were:

- Being sick (or trying to be sick - nothing would come out)
    - If unable to be sick, he would drool leaving a tiny bit of blood in the drool
    - Would occasionally sit up with his head down looking like he was about to be sick
    - Very lethargic (could hardly walk, would lay down wherever he was)
    - Hide under the bed/behind the sofa
    - Occasionally grunt/whimper
    - Rapid short breaths
    - Would not eat but drank water
    - Dehydrated
    - Very tired but restless
    - Very tense stomach and tense pretty much all over
    - When the vet tried to investigate his mouth, he would not open it as if he was biting down constantly
    - Had no temperature until the very last moments
    - Had a normal heart rate until the very last moments

Thanks,

Max

2. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

I'm so sorry for your loss

I'm no expert but some of the symptoms sound like Bloat to me. Dillon was very much like that when he bloated but we we were very, very lucky they managed to save him, most dogs don't make it.

Again so sorry for your loss, not easy when you don't know why.

3. pennyLokiMUM

pennyLokiMUM PetForums Senior

All you can do is speak to the Vet and ask for an autopsy or a case review with the practice manager, most dogs have a bug and with a sickness jab pick up, did the feel the tummy bladder for any blockages, do they look at case history for stones, these are the questions you need to ask them, loosing a loved family member at any age is awful, sorry for you loss, please just focus on the good memories

4. Blaise in Surrey

Blaise in Surrey PetForums VIP

I'm so very sorry.

Possibly bloat (vet may call it gastric torsion) although, as far as I know, Patterdales are not particularly susceptible to this. I also wonder about some kind of stomach cancer: animals are so good at hiding their symptoms until they are completely overtaken by them.

Again, I'm very sorry.

5. Ceiling Kitty

Ceiling Kitty Hides away from much through humour...

I'm so sorry about the loss of your friend.

I don't think that a bunch of non-medically trained professionals on the internet will be able to tell you why he died, if the vets who examined him in person could not. All we can do is speculate, and I'm not sure how helpful that will be to you.

The presence of an abdominal mass could be a symptom of a tumour, however.

Have you discussed your concerns with your vet? Have you asked for a post-mortem?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice