Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog stressed over food and bedtime

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Hannah.prisila, Jan 18, 2020.

1. Hannah.prisila

Hannah.prisila PetForums Newbie

I think my 11 year old Pomeranian has started thinking bedtime is treat time. My brother has been giving him treats and food at night and i now the dog gets extremely excited and stressed and sits at the cupboard with the treats in and starts running round the house when its time for bed. I feel awful about it but i never give in or give him treats at night. He only ever does once a day at a reasonable time, my brother said he has stopped doing it but the dog still thinks he gets treats at night and its not fair on the dog. How can i stop the dog from thinking he gets treats at night?

2. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Welcome to PF :)

I guess I'd go with the path of least resistance - why can't the dog have a treat at night? My dogs get a small meal at night because one of them gets the hunger pukes in the early hours if she goes too long without food, so we have a routine - out for last wee, to their beds for their food, and then they lie down and go to sleep. In addition, treats like stuffed kongs and chews tend to be useful to help calm dogs down. So I guess I don't really see why your dog can't have a treat at night :)

3. Hannah.prisila

Hannah.prisila PetForums Newbie

Yes i see what you mean, i think i will try getting him one of the stuffed chews, he always eats treats to fast and then expects another. He has always been like this since we adopted him,if he gets a treat he always expects more or gets over excited. In the day time though he gets over it but at night he just stays hyper. I will try the night routine like you said and see how he reacts, thank you :)

Lurcherlad likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice