Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

dog starting running of when we get lead for walk

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by botty, Jan 10, 2008.

1. botty

botty PetForums Junior

hi our ckc 1 year old dog as started to run of when we reach for the lead as if he want to play he will run around lounge table and wants to play catch him
    he love his walk and he as only started doing this the last week any suggestions
    ps tried walking to the door as if going with out him some times it works

2. Brainless

Brainless Guest

I would sit back down ans pretend to be occupied and put the lead aside.

When he comes to you then ask for a sit and put the lead on. If you insist on this he will know that no way does he go out and go for the walk until he sits nicely for his lead.

I had a similar problem with my first Dog barking madly and chasing around in circles, worked quite quickly and I use it on my crew now.

Those who get excited don't get their leads put on and each gets theirs on when they come to me and stand quietly, even if I have to stand there several minutes at first.

3. BredaKim

BredaKim PetForums Member

Meg used to do that alot...it drove me barmy!!
    In the end I did what Brainless did, just ignored it until she realised I was not having any of it...shes better now, but still tries it on the odd occasion.
    Also I found if i picked her lead up and put it on once she was outside the door she was much better, gets excited still and does a little run on the garden, but then comes to me for her lead to be put on. Obviously this won't work for all and you have to have good recall, but it works for Meg :p

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice