Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog spay recovery question

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Holly Peckham, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Holly Peckham

Holly Peckham PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone!

I have a female Border Collie bitch, Ivy, who is 9 months old today. She was spayed on a Thursday and her recovery has been incredible so far - the wound is healing nicely, she’s toileting as normal and is eating as normal, so we’re very happy.

In regards to her temperament, she is “back to normal.” I understand that she’s just had major surgery and she’s not 100% yet, which leads me to my question!

She has a post op appointment tomorrow morning and the only way we can get her there is the bus. The vet advised strict rest for 3 days, and on clearing her tomorrow she is allowed 5 minute walks.

The distance from the bus stop to the vet is 0.3 miles, 5 minute walk. Am I safe enough to take her on the bus to her appointment?

2. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I have never taken a dog back for a post op appointment but I know what I am doing. I would suggest that you phone and explain to the vet that you have to use the bus which includes walking and tell them exactly how she is in herself and what the wound looks like. Personally I would not take her on the bus as she will be uncomfortable and laid down in dirt. If the vet insists it is necessary can you get a lift from a friend or go in a taxi.

3. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

It should be ok but you are comfortable with how everything is going then you can probably skip the post-op check if you ask your vet.

4. Holly Peckham

Holly Peckham PetForums Newbie

I should add that the bus journey itself is only 10 minutes at most and she’s very comfortable on the bus.

My other dog is a 3 year old Shih Tzu and she was spayed around 1 year old and bounced back just as quickly.

I’ll call the vet in the morning anyway just to double check and ask what they’d recommend.

Blitz likes this.
  5. pennyLokiMUM

pennyLokiMUM PetForums Senior

Probably wise to check but I would take a taxi

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice