Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog soiling

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Shoenut, Apr 9, 2011.

1. Shoenut

Shoenut PetForums Newbie

I wonder if there is anyone who could advise me. We have two rescue dogs, both male who have lived happily with our family for the past two years.

When we got the second dog, we did have some problems with toileting in the house - I think because he was in kennels for a while so was used to 'going' in his pen. We worked on this at home and he was housetrained in no time.

However, something has changed - I am not sure what, its nothing obvious like we've moved or anything. Now every day there is wee and poo on the kitchen floor. I suspect that some days poo is eaten to hide the evidence. We dont tell them off we just clean it up, but its a horrible start to every day and its causing tension with the humans. It started gradually, just the odd morning but now its daily. I scrub the floor every day straight away, but its started to smell a bit.

Both the dogs enjoy a long morning walk and are walked just before bed - we make sure they go to the toilet. They are not left alone during the day much as we both work from home.

Not sure what to do next, I need to buy some super duper floor cleaner as I suspect the smell is causing them to wee on the same spot - but why poo as well? They go every day at the park and walks.

We are getting to the end of our patience with this problem, so if anyone can offer any solutions that would be fab.

2. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Have you made any recent changes to the diet? If you have that may be the culprit. Some foods are packed with fillers and bulking agents, that have little to no nutritional value and just produce more bulk and waste, causing a greater number of poos. Some also have wheat and maize in them that a lot of dogs dont get on with.

It might be an idea to go back to basics with the toilet training for a week or too, taking them out in the garden and staying out there with them for awhile every so often, and when they do perform, doing the whole praising and treating thing like you would with a pup, thats worth a try.

Back on the subject of food, Has their meal times altered at all, or do you leave food down all the time for them to graze on? If you leave food down, it might be worth just feeding set meal times. A set pattern of feeding usually means a set pattern of toileting so you might find by keeping a note on when they seem to toilet after feeding, by adjusting the meal times, taking them out on a crash toilet training course inbetween, and maybe even pehaps adding an extra walk a day, you might be able to solve the problem.
    If they have any treats and snacks inbetween the set meal times maybe try cutting them ot too.

3. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

You could try a DAP to :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice