Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog sneezing and reverse sneezing

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Jobeth, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

Since coming back from their home boarding both of my dogs have been reverse sneezing more than normal. The same night my oldest reverse sneezed for the longest time he has ever done it. He seems to be settling down, although it is still more frequent. My yorkie though does it the most and I'd not really seen it with her before. She also does a few sneezes at other times. I wouldn't take them to the vet for a reverse sneeze normally, but wondered if it was caused by any damage e.g they'd be pulling a lot when walking with her as they were both anxious when I picked them up.

2. rona

rona Still missing my boys

I'm wondering where they where exercised and if they have anything in their throats/noses?

Barley awn or some kind of mites spring to mind

3. shirleystarr

shirleystarr PetForums VIP

Do you use a collar to walk ? maybe try a harness that does not pull on the neck

4. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

Thanks. They were walked in a country park around a lake. Would I be able to see them if they are there as I can't and after 2 weeks would anything have gone?

My yorkie has a harness and my oldest dog walks to heel with me and so has a flat collar. They won't be going there again. If it carries on I'll get them checked by the vet.

5. DollyGirl08

DollyGirl08 PetForums VIP

I find the cold makes Sidney reverse sneeze more, also excitement.
    They were likely excited to see you after their time in boarding, and also it has been pretty chilly the last few nights, so perhaps it is a mixture of that?
    I always hold a hand over Sid's nostrils and rub his throat when he has an 'episode', it helps bring him out of it and slow his breathing down.

6. Nataliee

Nataliee PetForums VIP

I find the cold makes them worse too, Heidi often starts reverse sneezing when she's out in the snow, the rest of the year she's fine

7. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

Thanks. Her ones are quite short and stop with the hand over nostril/rubbing neck. That one when he came back carried on regardless and I could just sit stroking his neck. Maybe it is more excitement along with the cold and hopefully a coincidence that it started after they were there. As she is a yorkie I worry more that she somehow damaged her trachea as I'm careful with her.

8. Bexhed

Bexhed PetForums Junior

Sorry to sound stupid, but what on earth is a reverse sneeze? I get from the above posts that its potentially serious, but I've never heard of it! We get our pup this weekend so would appreciate being educated on this so I can watch out for it!

Thanks

Confused.com :confused:

9. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

If it is just a reverse sneeze it isn't anything to worry about. They inhale quickly and it sounds like a panic attack. Yorkies are prone to trachea collapse, which is why it is bothering me more.

10. Bagrat

Bagrat PetForums VIP

If you search it on you tube there are some examples.

11. Bexhed

Bexhed PetForums Junior

Will check it out! Never heard a dog do it before, I can't recall the dogs I had growing up doing it eithe!

Thanks!

12. DollyGirl08

It is something that generally toy breeds do, so chihuahuas and yorkies.
    Basically it is caused by the soft palate at the back of the throat, sort of flopping down and covering the airway, so they effectively 'sneeze backwards' hence the name.
    It's not really serious, although it can look and sound scary if you have never seen it happen before.

My chihuahua will come to me when it happens and give me his nose to hold for him lol.

13. Bramblesmum

Bramblesmum PetForums Member

Thats a good description Dolly girl but it isn;t just the small breeds that do it, the larger ones do as well.

I've recently raised this with my vet - and the best thing to do is to close the nostrils as they are forced to breathe through their mouth - they need to inhale through the mouth to stop the reverse sneeze...

14. DollyGirl08

That's why I said generally small breeds :)
    I have known it to happen in staffies too.

15. hushtalk

hushtalk PetForums Senior

and flatcoats :)

16. DollyGirl08

Ah never known it in a flattie before.

17. Firedog

Firedog PetForums VIP

One of my Borders does it as well.

18. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Maybe something that the home border was using, perhaps that's irritated their upper respiratory tract, some dogs can have effects and allergens to certain plug in air freshners for example.

All my three did have a bug though several years ago, that just caused sneezing and if I remember rightly clear nasal drops. Although that was more like proper sneezing then reverse sneezing. Nanuq was a pup at the time, and got off lightest, It affected Kobi first, then Daisy and finally Nanuq but her symptoms were the least. Daisy did have a temperature too I think. The vet put them on ABs and it went without incident.

Only other thought was there any rape seed fields near where they were boarded although may be too late in the year, the pollen from that can seem to affect respiratory tract both human and some dogs.

19. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

Thanks. My cross is just reverse sneezing more than he ever has before. His is settling down and seems to be linked to when he is excited. My yorkie is reverse sneezing and sneezing. I'm going to book an appointment with the vet as hers doesn't seem to be improving at all.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice