Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog snapping ...and pregnant!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Clara-bela, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Clara-bela

Clara-bela PetForums Newbie

Hi guys,
    I'm new to Pet Forums and in desperate need of advice!

I have a 4 yr old rescue staffy (Jess)who i adore!We have had her for 2 years. She doesnt get on with all dogs but that is something we have learned to accept but with people she has always been excellent and very loving and soppy!

Yesterday my friend brought round her 2 yr old and 5 yr old children. I didnt let Jess too close to them as she is not used to being around unknown children and you cant be too careful. She seemed fine, a bit puzzled when these children came storming inot her home but ok!

Jess was relaxed and lying by my feet while i was sitting on the sofa chatting. The little 2 yr old came over and fell backwards onto the dog! Jess reacted with a snap but didnt touch or hurt the child. I was so shocked and embarrassed!I think Jess just felt a little threatened and shocked. I didnt tell her off as i kind of felt a bit sorry for the poor dog!

I'm currently pregnant and due in October so a little concerned about Jess and the new baby and other children we will have round the house!She really is the most affectionate dog in the world, i adore her and could never give her away!

Claire :(

2. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

It sounds like she got a fright. If she is not used to being round unknown children she may have been feeling uncomfortable so when the child fell on her she got scared.

You do not have to get rid of her but you do need her to see children as a positive thing.

Also I would have her meet children from behind a safety gate and let her observe them for a while then let her meet them on a lead andhave the child give her a treat (provided she can take them gently).
    Don't overwhelm her with little kids as I think that probably what happened, she felt out of her depth.

Always give her somewhere to go, her safe place where children are absolutely not alowed and make sure that when children are around at first she has a clear way of getting to that safe place.

If at any point when children are there she looks uncomfortable, remove here asap.

x

3. Clara-bela

Thank you for your reply and yes i totally agree, i think it was all too much for her.She's used to it being just me and my boyfriend in the house bless her. Don't know what she thought when some unknown child landed on her!!
    We will be getting baby gates put up soon for our new arrival as you cant be too careful but i'm very keen to ensure that Jess doesnt feel pushed out.

Can i just ask, What breed is your dog Dixie? She is almost identical to Jess!!Including the white markings on the chest! Jess is mainly staff but crossed with something else that we're not sure of!
    Claire

4. Badger's Mum

Badger's Mum PetForums VIP

I think you should have been pleased with her for not bitting;):). But also agree with pg:D

5. Think about it this way.

You fast asleep, then suddenly SLAM something heavy, unknown and funny smelling lands on you! Would you wake up in a good mood?

I would say she reacted in a normal understandable way. You will need to put things into place when baby comes home, but thats a different thread entirely, and one thats true for all dogs not just your situaton.

6. Clara-bela

Thank you guys, your posts have been really reassuring!I've been so worried about the whole thing!!Hardly slept a wink!
    C xx

7. Badger's Mum

Badger's Mum PetForums VIP

No prob's good luck with the baby:D

8. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Good luck with her :)

Dixie is collie/lab x jrt :)

x

9. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

she sounds like she was just scared bless her

I would maybe walk past a school well across the road so she can hear the sounds of children, the smells e.t.c when they schools start up again

do you have friends with babies that you can take her to see/get used to the sound of a baby crying?x

10. Clara-bela

That's a good idea, yes i do have friends with children and i might see if they fancy coming out on a walk with her.
    C x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice