Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog Smell

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by kah22, Jul 30, 2018.

1. kah22

kah22 PetForums Newbie

I’ve been asked a question by a non pet owner and I don’t know the answer. Can someone help?

My friend has rented an oldish house and will be there for the next 12 months. The house has carpets on the bedroom and stairs; the kitchen and living area wood/tiles. There are two settees, owned by the landlord. As hell only be there for a year he’s quite content with the furniture he’s got and wants to spend as little as possible on it.

Here’s the problem. Even though the house has been deep cleaned, he says there is still a doggie smell and I’ve been asked how can you kill that smell?

Opening the windows is not practical, Oder eating candles,possibly, but any particular type? I had thought of a fumigating block. I wonder if that would kill the smell or is it just aimed at bugs? Anyway he has neighbors on either side of him.

Anyone help me out here? What kills a doggie smell?

Kevin

2. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

Well for me, it's throw the dogs in the garden for a while, open all the windows in the house i can (and even the front and back doors!) and hoover and dust then spray a little Fabrese around. Oh and as a dog owner make sure all doggy beds are clean.

With a house that's been professionally cleaned hopefully the 'smell' will dissipate over time with lots of fresh air. Or lots of Fabrese.

I suspect as a non pet owner he can smell 'dogs' in the same way that I ( a non smoker) can smell even the tiniest whiff of ciggie smoke in a house.

J

3. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Febreeze?

Also, I had a doggy smell from my vacuum cleaner every time I used it after having vacuumed dog hair off the carpet. I got great advice here to put a cotton wool ball with a few drops of essential oil on the cylinder. I know it's not the same thing but might be helpful too.

4. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

That's an idea. The hoover does tend to smell doggy sometimes :eek: (I usually throw it in the garden and give it a wash through!)

J

5. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

I washed the filters and everything but couldn't shift the smell at all - the thing is, it was visiting dogs that caused it, I don't smell T at all :mad:

6. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I’d spray everywhere with Febreze, have all the windows open for as long as possible to change stale air and use fleeces and rugs to cover soft furnishings and carpets.

Use plug in air fresheners too.

lullabydream and tabelmabel like this.
  7. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Burning scented candles will help too.

8. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

@kah22: I take it from what you write that while your friend is there, there won't be any dogs visiting while he is there (ie you yourself don't have a dog which is causing the doggy smell?). In which case I think follow the advice given above, pity he can't open the windows for whatever reason tho'. His vacuum cleaner should not have a doggy smell for long if there are no longer any dogs there (think there are some anti-odour strips you can put in them). Maybe the ''professional cleaners didn't do a very good job?

9. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

I like the dog odour candles they sell at our vet. As good and strong as yankee but half the price.

The yankee ones are good if you can't find dog odour ones.

I'm sure your friend will develop a degree of nose blindness after a while!

10. Tracey3cats

Tracey3cats PetForums Junior

He could try sprinkling bicarbonate of soda over the carpets. Leave for 24hrs then vacuum as normal. It's a natural deoderiser.

Torin. and Calvine like this.
  11. Whiteshadow

Whiteshadow PetForums Senior

Carpet powder with of our neutralise.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice