Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog smell?!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Meena, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Meena

Meena PetForums Member

Okay I am just asking for general advice really. My non doggy friends have been complaining when they come over... they say my house stinks of dog. My mother also told me my clothes stink like dog. Has anyone ever had this problem? I'm in a ground floor flat with a back garden and have 2 large breed dogs.. I hoover 2-3 times a week and I shake vacume in stuff into the carpet once a week. I bleach my tiles weekly and I wash all my clothes with biological washing detergent. I'm just wondering if this is a general thing and if I might be over thinking it? I'm really funny about keeping the place clean because I have a kid so it does worry me because if my clothes smell maybe hers do to..

2. Emmastace

Emmastace PetForums VIP

Could be wrong but I think dog smell depends on the dog. Some breeds have coats with certain oils that smell more than others. Certainly what you feed affects the smell. You will be so used to it that you don't notice it anymore. If you clean as much as you say you do then I don't see what more you can do. You just have to accept that you have dogs and everyone else will have to accept that too. What else can you do? Presumably getting rid of the dogs isn't an option.

3. lols82

lols82 PetForums Member

I clean my floors every night with my steamer, wash the dogs blankets when needed, I also scrubbed my rug in my living room a few nights ago to make sure it's clean and not smelly as my puppy had an accident or two on it and make sure my place is well aired throughout the day :)

4. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

I think as dog owners we have to accept the 'dog' smell :rolleyes:
    And some people - especially non-dog owners - can be sensitive to the smell.

I can only suggest opening your windows as often as possible to let the air through - if you have carpets and fabric sofa's get a carpet cleaner and wash them regularly, you could also try a vacum freshner for inside your hoover and I like 1001 Carpet freshner inbetween washes.

Washing dog bedding regularly will help as well

And I quite like yankee candles

Regarding the clothes - is it a doggy smell or are you having trouble getting your washing dry and its more a damp smell - I know this time of year I stuggle with only having indoor drying on clothes horses - if it is regularly turn your washing on the lines and possibly use a fabric freshener spray as well.

5. maisey

maisey PetForums Member

Grooming the dogs more could possibly help, and I have been told washing your dog too much can cause them to smell as well as silly as that may sound.

I wouldn't worry about it, what breed of dogs do you have?

6. metaldog

metaldog PetForums VIP

If my friends complained my house smelled of dog then I'd get new friends :p

If you have hard floors you can mop them and they don't hold the smell like carpet does. I've got a rug in the living room which I fold up and wash in the bath every now and then. Dog smell also clings to fabric so I've got leather sofas because they're washable :)

Mine sleep in bed with me and my bedroom stinks of dog, but I don't mind in fact I quite like it :D

7. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

What do you feed them? Some dogs do seem to smell more than others but food can also be a contributing factor.

8. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

What do you feed your dogs? I strongly believe that food quality affects smell, oiliness of coat etc, just like people who have terrible diets smell. My dad's old dog used to STINK and had a horrible coat (bless her!) and I'm in no doubt that this was because he fed her the cheapest possible food (we didn't know any better at that time). McKenzie is on excellent food and only smells if you stick your nose right into her fur (and even then it's quite a nice smell).

ETA: Snap Sarah! You bet me by a minute!

9. lipsthefish

lipsthefish PetForums VIP

I 'asked' a long time friend to leave ours when he complained it smelled like dog, we had four large dogs at the time and had just come back from a massive romp in the local woods where they'd been in the river and stuff, not sure what he expected it to smell of at the time :confused: He actively disliked dogs anyway so he was no loss as a 'friend' to us ;)

10. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy PetForums VIP

Simple solution.
    Don`t ask these friends round.
    I mean - have you ever been in a house where there`s a smoker, or a new baby, or a child still in nappies, or a curry fan? Did you make rude comments about the pong? No - because you are not rude, and these friends are.
    You could replace your carpets with laminate, put air fresheners in every room, lose all the soft furnishings and generally live your life at the mercy of the Pong Police but wth - your house, your rules. Tell the anti dog brigade to take a hike.

11. Meena

Meena PetForums Member

I have mals, they are big girls. The thing is they were on fish4dogs and they stank so bad I could smell it. Since I swapped to csj they haven't smelt they also have chicken wings a few times a week to help keep teeth clean. I have to be hot on cleaning because even though not blowing coat at the moment the fur still gets all behind and under the crate at night time. The crate is in the bathroom as it's a better surface to clean then carpet. Also it's cooler for them in there as it gets too hot in the living room for them and they hang out in the kitchen/bathroom anyway. They do sleep in the living room usually the younger is by my feet and the elder is by the door. I try not to bath them too often usually once a month or if they are really dirty (not mud dirt) I will do it more. I do not smell the smell. It does not bother me. What bothers me is that other people are coming to my home and saying it smells. I have doggy friends that come over and they said they can not smell it so I am starting to think, actually it's just my mother and she may well be an unwelcome visitor if she carries on.

Edit to say: Under no circumstances what so ever would I ever rehome my girls so no it's not an option.

12. Netpon

Netpon PetForums Member

Washing dog beds regularly, cleaning carpets regularly (please don't use shake n vac type products as they are terrible for dogs' skin) and bathing the dogs. I have 3 rottweilers and people comment about how my house doesn't smell of dog. I'm a bit obsessed with smells though so I probably go over the top!!

Animology do a good dry shampoo spray available in Pets at Home called Dirty Dawg, if you can't/don't want to bathe them

13. Meena

Meena PetForums Member

I love your attitude :D

14. Meena

Meena PetForums Member

I know which one you mean, I've had that before, will get another bottle of it.

15. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

Oh god Spencer stinks after a walk in the woods. For about an hour after we get home there's an overpowering smell about him yet I don't notice any smell at all other times. It's not a doggy smell though, it's more like wet soil.

16. jbw54

jbw54 PetForums Member

Had the little guys out for their early morning walk came home soaking wet kitchen stinks of wet dogs quick towel dry, spray some puppy grooming spray on them – done job, if people don’t like the smell don’t come a knocking!!!!!

17. Labman

Labman PetForums Member

#17 Labman, Oct 25, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  18. Meena

Meena PetForums Member

My neighbour did complain that she could smell dog up her stairs. I put a plug in the hall way and she said it's fine now.

19. LahLahsDogs

LahLahsDogs PetForums VIP

It sounds as though you are doing your best to keep your house clean, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. You have dogs and dogs come with a certain smell. Some dogs are smellier than others and I suspect that Mals would be a little smelly due to their long hair (although i've never met one in real life). I noticed a big difference in the smell of my house when I had a Golden Retriever to stay for a couple of weeks. He was very hairy and my dog has very short hair and you could tell as soon as you walked in my door that there were dogs. I just gave the carpets a good wash when he went home and it's been fine since.

20. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

Good for you. I have a long term friend who is not a doggie person and has openly told me she won't come round because the newfies drool. Fair enough, I can understand that. It is rather disgusting unless they are your own dogs. I can still visit her. But she wouldn't object to the house smelling even if it does, because that is a different matter I think.

Very well put. There are worse smells than dog, I think, and sh**ty nappie is most definitely one of them. I try to avoid going anywhere where there are toddlers, but I wouldn't tell someone their kid stinks, even if it does.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice