Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog slipping help please

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by LisaZonda, Nov 17, 2016.

1. LisaZonda

LisaZonda PetForums VIP

Hi guys,
    Just looking for some help and suggestions.
    Gold my Samoyed is a massive bundle of fluff and his paws and pads are extremely furry!
    Our house is tiled downstairs and he constantly slides about and slips when playing.
    If I throw a toy for him he kind of has to waddle and power walk for it.
    Our staircase is oak and sometimes slips coming down it too, especially as he's so big his weight pushes him forward. He actually fell down the stairs once, he wasn't hurt but it definitely scared him (and me).
    I do keep his fur and claws well trimmed of course but he's still sliding all over.
    I've looked at various solutions, I don't want to put rubber soled socks on him as he gets too warm sometimes as it is so covering his pads with socks will make that worse, plus I think he'd just pull them off.
    After looking online I've seen little claw covers that apparently help, also there is the paw wax I could try.
    Has anybody tried the claw covers and/or paw wax? if so, what did you find worked best?

Thanks x

2. rona

rona Still missing my boys

If he's having trouble now, it will only get worse as he ages and his legs get weaker. When mine got old, we just had to bite the bullet and cover our floors with mats.
    Not sure how you are going to do that on your stairs. Does he have to go up and down stairs?

3. cbcdesign

cbcdesign PetForums VIP

Yep, the only way is to put some rugs down.

LisaZonda, Sled dog hotel and rona like this.
  4. MaggiesMom

MaggiesMom PetForums Senior

Could you get carpet treads for your stairs? you know sometimes you see wooden stairs with carpet just in the middle sections?

5. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

I have a tiled hall and kitchen thankfully the rest is carpeted, but when mine have started slipping mostly as they age the only way round it I have found it to buy cheap non slip backed rugs and runners.

Not sure if paw wax will help to be honest although good for protection outside I'm wondering it it may make things worse.

LisaZonda likes this.
  6. cbcdesign

cbcdesign PetForums VIP

We put self adhesive ridged carpet tiles on our oak stairs. I wasn't prepared to risk my poor old girl falling down them injuring herself to preserve a look. The only other way is a stair guard to prevent the dog going up them if you don't like carpet.

LisaZonda and rona like this.
  7. DogsGoneRoaming

DogsGoneRoaming PetForums Member

When our old girl was close to the bridge we brought a bunch of rugs etc she was always losing her feet on our oak and tiles flooring. It helped but she still kept finding somewhere to slip the silly sod.

LisaZonda likes this.
  8. LisaZonda

LisaZonda PetForums VIP

Thanks for all your suggestions
    He's fine now aside from it just hindering his play a little, Nikita my husky always gets to a thrown toy first, then he usually crashes into her lol
    I do worry in the long term though, when he gets old he will struggle with it.
    There's no way I can carpet as I live in an old French renovation that's completely open plan and almost 100m2 downstairs.
    I guess rugs and runners are the answer, I can stop him going upstairs to eliminate the staircase problem.
    The claw covers looked like the answer to my problem when I looked online, wasn't sure if anyone here had tried them and could give me an honest opinion on them before I throw rugs and runners everywhere

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice