Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog shows

Discussion in 'Dog Shows and Events' started by luke jeffery, Jun 28, 2009.

1. luke jeffery

luke jeffery PetForums Newbie

hi, i am looking for any dog shows starting lately, i would like to show my 5 year old doberman as everybody is always telling me how handsome and well behaved he is:D i live in torquay so any shows closer to here would be great

2. aurora

aurora PetForums Senior

3. luke jeffery

well i know nothing of dog shows, but are there ones on looks, because he is well behaved but not overly obedient

4. terriermaid

terriermaid PetForums Senior

are you on facebook ? theres a group called devon companion dogs shows you might find something on there ,theres a nice one comming up at ashburton july 26th

5. luke jeffery

yes i already joined that one on facebook, but what exactly do i need to do to get in a show, is it worth learning how to show a dog, and what do they want you to do

6. aurora

aurora PetForums Senior

ring craft is abit of fun, you take your dog there usually as puppies to get them use to being walked up and down, learn them to stand in the show position and get use to people going over them like the judge does. Older dogs do go as well. have fun with your showing, once you get started you will be hooked :)

7. vinya12

vinya12 PetForums Member

Your dog will need to stand for the judge. All the dogs stand in a line and the judge will look at each dog in turn. You must stand your dog for the judge who will then go over the dog with his hands and look at the dogs teeth, so you need to get your dog used to having his teeth looked at. You will then be asked to trot the dog in a triangle and then striate up and back so the judge can see how he moves. Its best to start at an open show or fun show. And get lots of practice .you will need to know what class to enter him in. here is a list of class definitions.
    Class Definitions

And here is a guide to help you get started.

DOG SHOWS AND DOG SHOWING, CONFORMATION SHOWING AT EXEMPTION SHOWS, OPEN SHOWS, LIMIT SHOWS AND CHAMPIONSHIP SHOWS, HOW TO SHOW A BORDER COLLIE, HOW TO SHOW A GOLDEN RETRIEVER, CLASSES AT DOG SHOWS, AN INTRODUCTION TO DOG SHOWS AND CRUFTS, RINGCRAFT
    :)

8. Domoniques

Domoniques PetForums Senior

Hi luke jeffery
    As he is 5 years old has he been castrated if so you can't show him .

9. luke jeffery

yes he has been castrated, but i dont mean serious shows, i just mean fun shows, with classes like most handsome dog, things like that

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice