Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog shows

Discussion in 'Dog Shows and Events' started by Fade to Grey, Nov 10, 2007.

1. Fade to Grey

Fade to Grey PetForums VIP

I've come to the conclusion that dog shows are not judged on the dog, it's judged on the owner. I've noticed that if you don't know the judge you probably wont get placed very high.

Although a few years ago my dog was placed above another dog, even though Jazz was Neautered the judge still thought he was the better dog.

2. basi

basi PetForums Senior

Not all the time, though I have seen it many a time at shows. I just avoid the judges that I know to be facey, that way I'm not disappointed.
    I have been very successful with my male here in Germany and the judges don't know me from adam as I came from the UK. He has only been to 4 shows and now only needs one more CAC for his German title, and is also on his way to his Inter Champ.

3. Fade to Grey

Fade to Grey PetForums VIP

ohh well done.
    let us know when he's got his german title.

4. dh.dti

dh.dti Guest

That's great Good luck!

5. pkb1

pkb1 PetForums Junior

I agree, i did really well yesterday with 2 dogs under 2 different judges i had never heard of or seen before, my american cocker puppy won a large AVNSC
    GUNDOGclassthen went on to group 3 puppy..............my other [ a beagle] won her Post graduate class, then won best of breed [ over a champion and 2 junior warrant winners] and went on to win the hound group......but facey judging can and does go on in all competitions unfortunately....i hope i dont get accused of that as i'm judging next Sunday:eek:
    [Pauline

6. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

Well done on your wins, you are quite right it goes on in all competitions, when you are a seasoned competitor, you simply don't enter under a judge who does not like the way your dog looks/works. Mind you you have to spend a bit of money first before you can have this info.

7. basi

basi PetForums Senior

Well done on your wins:D

8. jennifer

jennifer PetForums Newbie

well done on ur wins

9. Debbie

Debbie PetForums VIP

Well said Jilly - It can be facey - but like Jilly I dont enter under them again.......those judges always get one try and one try only. ( Unless they like my face LOL ) I know plenty of people that think I am mad for showing but then again I know plenty of people who love it just like me.

Well done for your wins

10. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

Having said all that about judges it is a pretty thankless job, you get up early in the morning, travel loads of miles (often at your own expence), forgo the right to enter the event, work all day, or in my sport sometimes all week in the pouring rain for nothing, and at the end of it you will only have pleased 2 people the winner and yourself, but without judges there would be no competitions, and wouldn't that be sad.

11. Debbie

Debbie PetForums VIP

I also know a few judges that are given the red carpet treatment who would disagree with what you are saying lol
    Go to the showground at a steady pace - stay in a hotel the night before - sit for a posh meal - have a bit of a booze up - get up in the morning and be driven to the grounds - waited on hand and foot all day long and sometimes come home with gifts too.....
    Pretty nice day out if the weather is nice LOL
    Anyway I do agree with what you have both said - most people dont understand how much effort is put into judging - but its an honour to judge in the first place....

12. pkb1

pkb1 PetForums Junior

i'm judging Sunday. i dont think the above post relates to me [ mores the pity]...........lol
    Pauline

13. Debbie

Debbie PetForums VIP

Awww Pauline where are you judging on Sunday?

14. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

i love going to shows but i dont drive so have to get the train, i love crufts best,:D:D

15. Vixen

Vixen PetForums Junior

Is showing good fun? Im going to start the puppy training and the ring craft classes next month

16. basi

basi PetForums Senior

It's great fun but be warned it is very addictive!!

17. Debbie

Debbie PetForums VIP

Oh its great fun - when you can see that your dog really enjoys it too - but yes as Basi has said its addictive!!!
    Good luck with ringcraft.

18. pkb1

pkb1 PetForums Junior

sorry for the late reply..........judging in Hereford.................husband and myself
    Pauline:eek:

19. Debbie

Debbie PetForums VIP

I hope you have a good day and the weather isnt too cold either......

20. Jonsville

Jonsville PetForums Newbie

;) Good post Jenny Olley [​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice