Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog Sense of smell?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by sunshine80, May 4, 2010.

1. sunshine80

sunshine80 PetForums VIP

I have been thinking about this for a while I know that dogs are supost to have a good sense of smell. Well there is this lady that stays near me and she always gives Sonny a treat when he sees her - strangely enough he loves her and jumps all over her (a do try and make him sit but it does not always work). Anyway Dad had told me about this lady before I actually met her and since Sonny was about 5/6 months (ie just after I moved house) he has stopped at her door step every morning and waited expectantly hoping to see her/ get treat (it did not help that one morning while he was doing this she actually did come out of her door :rolleyes:). Anyway when I caught on and asked Dad if this was the house that the lady lived in he told me that he had never seen her come out of the front door and had always met her walking up the back street. Which made me think how did Sonny realise that this was where the lady stayed if he had never actually seen her at the house. I decided that he must have known by the smell that she stayed there. However this is the dog that struggled to find a treat that has been dropped so do you think it was smell. I am not sure how he managed to know but I think it is really sweet that he stops at her doorstep every morning he comes when I tell him to though - although if you are unlucky enough for her to come out when you are further down the road and she does not notice you get Sonny pulling you all the way up the road in an attempt to try and reach her. He always seems to sense she is there as well before you see her he will be sitting looking wagging his tail and as I look she is just coming around the corner (he also manages this in the wood with the collie that he plays with).

2. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

Yes he knows that where she lives.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice