Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog seems not to like me all of a sudden?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Frollie, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Frollie

Frollie PetForums Senior

So I've been changing the dog over from Bakers to Eden and for the first few days when he was basically starving himself, he was a bit sulky with everyone. However, for the past few days he's been happily gobbling up all the Eden and is now fine with everyone except me. I thought it might be because I was there when we took him to the vet, even though it was just a check up and he's never been so moody after a vet visit before; but I was just there with him, my dad was the one who held him down whilst he got checked out and yet he still completely loves and gets excited whenever my dad is around. He's perfectly fine with my sister too, letting her stroke him and going to sit next to her as usual, and yet every time I go to pet him, he turns his head away and if I sit down next to him, he walks a few feet away and sits down there.

Any ideas on why this may be? He usually loves being with me and generally if I haven't paid him any attention in a while, he'll come and nudge me to give him a stroke. But at the moment he ignores me unless it's feeding or walking time. Hopefully some one will be able to offer me some insight as it's quite upsetting. :(

2. Frollie

Frollie PetForums Senior

Anyone? :(

Everyone here is making fun of the fact I've been working so hard trying to make things better for him and yet he's started to dislike me, but they don't realise that it's actually really upsetting.

He still goes downstairs when I do etc and he's complies normally when I take him for a walk/feed him etc, but the rest of the time, he backs up every time I approach and turns his head away from me. I can't for the life of me think what I might have done to elicit this behaviour.

Can anyone help, please?

3. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

Sounds counter productive but I'd just leave him alone and let him come to you in his own time. The bigger deal you make of it and the more upset you become by it the more he'll pick up on that and the more worried he's likely to be about you showing him attention. I'd just carry treats in a pocket or something and every time he comes near drop him a treat. If he comes and asks for a fuss give him a brief one and carry on about your business.

My collie refused to have anything to do with me for 2 weeks after he was neutered lol. Never mind that I wasn't even the one to take him in to be done, it was me he fell out with!

4. Frollie

Frollie PetForums Senior

Hm okay, could be worth a try. How do I fit that in with his walks/feeding etc. Shall I just do what needs to be done with minimum fuss and then leave him to it?

5. sezeelson

sezeelson PetForums VIP

Sounds to me like your wanting it to much which is making him back off.

Spend quality time playing fetch and training but don't get too cuddly or force affection on him. Let him come to you in his own time.

Give him a little treat and a pat on the head where you can but only when necessary, he'll soon come round :)

6. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

I would, yeah. Sometimes trying so hard has the opposite effect you're looking for so I'd do what you need to do and give him some space the rest of the time. Obviously don't neglect his needs (walks, food, play) but just don't force yourself on him affection wise. And, easier said than done but, try not to let it bother you, he's not purposely trying to hurt you with his behaviour :)

7. Frollie

Frollie PetForums Senior

It'll be hard but sounds like it's for the best. Thanks for the advice. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice