Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

dog seasons

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by lizd4688, Jan 14, 2008.

1. lizd4688

lizd4688 PetForums Member

do you know how long it is before a dog comes back into season after having pups.
    as i want to keep them apart

2. Brainless

Brainless Guest

Many bitches will come in on time as if they hadn't had a litter soon after after pups are 3 1/2 months old.

My won girls I have found are usually 2 to 6 weeks later than if they hadn't whelped, going longer if the litter was larger.

My girls seasons are usually 26 to 28 weeks apart and after a litter the tiem from start of last season is normally 30 to 34 weeks.

Remember if you keep a dog puppy he can be fertile and mate his Mum as young as four months or so.

3. bullbreeds

bullbreeds PetForums VIP

Mine usually come back into season 6 months from the time of whelping.

4. lizd4688

lizd4688 PetForums Member

thankyou.
    you have been very helpful

5. Brainless

Brainless Guest

That would be about 10 -11 weeks later than if not having pups, assuming they normally go 6 months between seasons, or do they have longer inter season intervals..

6. bullbreeds

bullbreeds PetForums VIP

No, they come into season very 6 months.

7. garryd

garryd Guest

A Friend of mine has an English bull bitch that hasn't had a season yet an she is 15 months old :(

8. bullbreeds

bullbreeds PetForums VIP

That is a long time! Most of my bull terriers have had their first season around 8 months then every 6 months after that.
    Like Jilly said though, some bitches can have a dry season.

9. BredaKim

BredaKim PetForums Member

:)Mine had her season when the pups were about 12 weeks old.

10. bullbreeds

bullbreeds PetForums VIP

Just goes to show there is no general rule. Each bitch is different.

11. Brainless

Brainless Guest

That is only about 23 weeks from the start of the season she was mated on. Does she usually go that short a time?

Quite a few of my girls go shorter lengths when they first start say 16 to 20 weeks but by the time they are 2 or so it is usually 26 to 28 weeks.

I have had first seasons from 6 months but usually 8 to 10 months.

A friends Welsh Springers often didn't come into season until about 18 months and then seasons were about 10 months apart.

I have never mated a bitch until she has gone at least 6 months between seasons as usually don't breed until they are nearer 3, sometimes older, and only once just over two., which is minimum age by our breeds code of ethics.

12. kaz

kaz PetForums Junior

My lurcher must be having silent seasons because she is 3 years old and we have never seen her in season. I'm surprised though because we have 5 bitches and they are normally very interested if any of the other bitches are in season.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice