Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

dog scratching and chewing

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by paul carpenter, Apr 5, 2011.

1. paul carpenter

paul carpenter PetForums Newbie

hi can someone give me some advice please, i have a german sheperd male dog and he slways scratching the back of his front legs and the side of his belly he also chews at his feet and legs. at the monment he has chew his back legs and has s couple of sore.
    we have taken him to the vets several years ago and he said to try and give him a steriod tablet half every other day, must admit if we forget to give him the tablet say over a few days he seems to be worse.
    is ther anything we can do to help to stop this such as changeing his food ect. his spot-on flea and tic is up to date. we do take over a feild for a good run on a regular basis.
    hope someone can help me many thanks paul

2. pearltheplank

pearltheplank PetForums VIP

As long as there is nothing obviously wrong medical wise, my first thought would be to look into his diet. Could well be an intolerance to something? Are you feeding dry? Maybe with cereal high on the ingredient list?

3. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Assuming the vet checked him out for skin mites as well/and or the spot ons you use do skin mites as well as fleas and ticks, It could be an allergy.
    There are things that you can use to help dogs with itchy skin that improves the skin health a supplement called Yumega Plus has been known to help dogs with itchy dry sensitive skin Lintbells - Proven to improve your pet's health. Naturally - Lintbells.

I also suggested somthing called dermacton comes in spray,cream or shampoo
    bar, that someone found worked very well. Aromesse Natural Animal Healthcare Products for Dogs, Cats and Horses

if you want to check them out.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice