Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog scared of lifts

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Nicky10, May 28, 2010.

1. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

My friend moved into an apartment and it's on the 7th floor so no way are they going up the stairs. His golden retriever took one look at the lift and refused to budge. It's no mean feat dragging a rather large golden into a lift but they didn't have any treats or anything. Any ideas they've been trying treats and it's sort of working but obviously they don't want to do that all the time

2. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

If treats are working then I think they should carry on with that for the time being - for as long as it takes. They can be phased out later. I can understand the dog not wanting to go into a moving enclosed space like a lift - it's just going to take time for the dog to learn to trust this new thing.

Think of it as a puppy that is scared of the car - the lift is a different type of 'car' that it now must go into every day. Going back to basics and addressing it just as you would with a scared puppy seems the way forward.

3. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Makes sense. It probably wouldn't be as bad if they didn't have to use it so often taking him to the toilet etc during the day. He's fully grown but it would put too much pressure on his hips to take the stairs

4. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

High quality treats though - cicklen, liver cake, ham etc. They need to get the dog thinking - "Lift! oh goody, chicken time!"

Peraps when the lift isn't being used much at a quiet time, they could try & keep it open on their floor and just take the dog in & out of it a few times without the doors closing?

If they need to use the lift many times a day with the dog, how about splitting up his food ration and only giving him food when IN the lift? Or feeding him after every time they've been in it?

5. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Good idea but he's such a pig any food is awesome I'll recommend they try that. He's on wet food so not sure that would work.

6. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Wet food would work - split into a lot of little daily portions and taken into the lift in a small dish - and I bet if you were hungry enough, you'd be lured into a lift by the smell of your usual dinner!

7. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

I wasn't thinking you could put it on a dish for some reason. It would probably wok he loves his food made it easy to train him apparently

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice