Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog runs away from noise..

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by sammclean23, Jan 12, 2012.

1. sammclean23

sammclean23 PetForums Junior

Hi All,

I don't know if you saw my last thread but got a few more problems with our dog:

- she runs away from overhead noise e.g. helicopters, planes
    - runs away from wind

Our dog is a female whippet crossed with border collie and is just over a year old.

I have tried feeding her treats when these noises arise, however she is too scared to take the treat.

The major problem here is that, when off of the lead (I do not let her off but other members of the family do) she will run anywhere, often home across busy roads.

Obviously, she should not be off the lead until she comes back on command even with these distractions.

Despite this, can anyone suggest anything to help?

Thank you in advance,

Sam

2. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Firstly stating the obvious, but no way should she be let off lead if she has a fear problem and one that can happen at any time. A dogs first instinct is flght to get away, and she will do it every time. One day she isnt going to be lucky I dont need to really tell you that, but you must get if through to your family. She cant be let off unless its a full fence secure area like an enclossed tennis court or similar, with a gate that she cannot get out of.

Usualy the first thing would be to try to de-sensitise her to the noises, if you can do that so she doesnt get freaked by them that would be the best thing.
    You do it in the form of CDs that you purchase and there are various sounds and noises available for things that scare dogs, and dogs with noise phobia.
    The idea is that you play them at barely audible level, when a dog is eating its meal, ding some reward based training, relaxing chewing a Kong or chew, or just generally relaxed and having something like a stroke or massage. AS the dog ignores them and stays relaxed, little by little very gradually over a period of time, you slowly turn it up a tiny bit, once they get used to that level then up again and so on. Until they can cope up loud. More details and where to purchase see the link Sound Therapy 4 Pets – Sound Phobia Treatment CDs, Pet Products and Publications

While you are doing this there are natural calmatives that can help too.
    DAP Now called adaptil. These are dog appeasing pheromones, they are an artificial version and calm and soothe dogs. Available in a plug in diffuser for the home, and a Collar version for outside use too. They are available at vets and pets at home,, but usually cheaper on line. Online Vet | Get Cheap Pet Medicine and Treatments Online From Vet-Medic - Vet-Medic is one place.

Scullcap and Valerian is good for sound phobia and things like fireworks, its herbal and quite safe for longer term use. See Link Dorwest

KalmAid has had good results again quite safe too see Link http://www.nutri-science.net/pets/pdfs/KalmAid DL.pdf Details here and you can get it at various on line vet pharmacies.

In the meantime I would Only let her have a run whilst on a long line, whilst practicing and upping your recall training. If you are not sure about training recall and/or the best way to do it then, just post and ask.

3. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

4. sammclean23

Thanks to both of you for those solid answers.

In all honesty, I can't really expand on them. The only thing now is to try what you both suggested.

I had heard about the CD method and does seem a great idea.

With regards to letting her off, I will invest in a horse line or strong dog line until confident with her.

From a puppy she has always been extremely cautious around new sound/objects, opposite to my previous border collie who would love to go investigating.

Mum brought home a balloon the other day, she wouldnt be in the same room as it :p

Again thanks for the replies

5. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Another think you could try is Zylkene, a calming amino acid supplement you can get from online vet pharmacies. I'm trying it out with my bang and whistle phobic collie-cross, and it seems to be making quite a difference. On New Year when the barrage of fireworks went off she didn't try to hide under the desk as usual (had her thundershirt on too). A couple of days ago at the park there were quite a few whistles going off, both other people in the park calling their dogs and the school nearby on playtime, and she was slightly anxious instead of being a miserable, clingy little turnip.

6. sammclean23

Excellent will look into it! Cheers, do appreciate the help

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice