UK Pet Forums Forum banner
1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Lurcherlad 
#1 ·
I'm posting this for my coworker who's just joined a dog walking site.
She was asked by an elderly woman to walk her 12 year old overweight Beagle, Ruby.
Ruby seems to like my CW, will fall asleep at her feet in the owner's house and likes her petting etc, but once she's outside in her harness and on lead Ruby will just stand still and bark at my CW non-stop until she gets a treat, and even then she will only walk a few steps before stopping and barking at her again.
I've seen a video of it and the dogs ears are up and her tail is wagging as she barks (albeit slowly).
I'm just wondering if there were any 'tricks' to get this dog moving without feeding her treat habit?
Many thanks!

#4 ·
If she’s overweight (and unfit) it could be she has joint pain or other discomfort when walking.

However if “she’s always done it” it sounds like she was never trained out of whatever set her off in the first place.

If she was anxious in the early days and the owner used treats to get her walking but didn’t progress to alternatives (praise, etc.) the dog is stuck in that mode.

As she’s overweight perhaps the owner actually gave up walking her - exacerbating the problem?

What about getting the dog to play in the garden for now to gradually build some fitness/rapport in a safe environment before trying to venture out into what might be a scary World for her?

Look at kikopup, positively.com and thecanineconsultants.co.uk for tips on dog psyche and training.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.