Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog refuses to go out of drive

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Sue mccormick, Jun 14, 2021.

1. Sue mccormick

Sue mccormick PetForums Newbie

Hi all
    My 2 yr old shitzu went to the groomers last tursday(walked there)
    And since then he now refuses to leave the drive
    He used to love his walks but just sits down and won’t budge
    He will get in the car and will walk when we reach our destination
    He won’t go the toilet in the garden so needs to go out
    We have to carry him to the end of the road in the hope he will do something once put down by his favourite post box,he proceeds to run up the street home.
    I’ve asked the groomers if anything there could if scared him and they said no
    Don’t know what to do as we don’t always have time to drive somewhere and it’s not the answer to whatever has bothered him
    Can anyone help??

2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

I appreciate it isn't always convenient to go in the car, but in the short term, if you try to walk him away from the house and he wants to turn for home, I'd just let him. When he realises that you are not going to make him do something he is unhappy about, hopefully his confidence will start to re-build.

3. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Maybe he was very stressed at the groomers (despite their reassurances) and is worried you’re taking him back.

I wouldn’t force him out.

Maybe stay with him at the groomers next time to be sure?

Twiggy, kimthecat and JoanneF like this.
  4. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Groomers round me (not that I use any) are not letting owners stay and citing Covid/proximity as the reason
    As this dog seems to have had something unpleasant happen at the groomers, I'd use a different one in future, or have one that comes to you if you can find one, or buy the kit and learn to do it yourself which would be cheaper in the long run.

Twiggy, Lurcherlad and kimthecat like this.
  5. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

perhaps the groomers aren't telling the truth . you could get one that comes to your house.

Twiggy and Lurcherlad like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice