UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have installed an app on my smartphone and just wondered how accurate it is??

I have attached a screenshot of the results I got.

what do you all think??

let me know if you can see it, if not il write it all out. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
856 Posts
Can't really see it to read properly, but I can see it tells you the weekly shopping list and the weekly menu!

Would definately be interested in seeing it :D

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
ok wasnt sure if you could as im on my phone.

you have to choose from different options so i just chose the combination below

it says

young growing dog
age 12-24 months
medium dog
adult size 28-55lbs
currents size 31lbs
lifestyle working dog heavy duty

weekly shopping list
food per week.............chunks......lbs.............kg
beef green tripe...........3.............2.16lbs.....0.98
chicken......................8.............4.77.........2.17
chick wing w bone........4.............0.15.........0.07
fruits & veg mix............4.............2.77.........1.26
cooked fish..................2.............1.39.........0.63
liver etc......................3.............1.08.........0.49

supps per week calcium 8.87g

chunks* number of chunks u should divide each food type into for easy feeding

weekly feeding plan 3 meals day
sun
1 fruit veg mix
2 liver etc
3 chicken, tripe

mon
1 fish
2 veg mix
3 liver etc

tues
1 chicken
2 veg mix
3 chicken, liver etc

wed
1 tripe
2 chick wings w bone
3 chick

thurs
1 chick wings w bone
2 fish
3 veg mix, chicken

fri
1 tripe
2 chick wings w bone
3 chick

sat
1 chick wings w bone
2 ......
3 chicken

food amounts- each item is just 1 chunk from week shop list

nutrition

maintenance energy req 1278 kcal
day calcium req 1407 mg

amount per 100g amount per day (799g)
calories 157 kcal 1254 kcal
protein 15g 118g
carb 3g 20g
fat 7g 53g
phos 147mg 1173mg
calcium 176mg 1407mg

ca : p ratio 1.2:1

ca : p ratio- calcium & phos- calcium needs to be present not only at a particular level but also at an appropriate amount with respect to phos

·
Registered
856 Posts
I'm baffled by it :eek: by love the 'working dog heavy duty' :eek: :lol:

Also why feed cooked fish? Feeding 3 times a day :eek: can't see a 2year old heavy duty working dog having time for 3 meals a day, mine certainly don't :p

·
Registered
9,334 Posts
No idea how accurate it is. Another example for computers is http://www.netrophic.com/misc/NewPersonalDogFeedingGuide.xls which can be opened by Apache OpenOffice - The Free and Open Productivity Suite if you do not have Microsoft Excel. I know most values for nutrients in meat/bones etc come from nutritional databases. The question is of course how accurate are they themselves. I'm sure they are accurate for the specific chunk tested but there are going to be variations depending on so many factors such as the farmed animals diet, age etc. Added to which the nutrient "balance" also has so many factors with different vitamins potentially affecting others which I doubt is factored in. If these values are out then you start getting into difficulty as everything else is built on them.

The other thing to consider of course is the fact if the perfect "required" nutritional content was known all food manufacturer's would be the same. They are not.

Given this, I sometimes wonder how obsessive you really need to be. After all I am sure if you look at your daily intake and compare it with your "recommended" daily nutrient list it would be off kilter. ;)

The idea of prey model and I assume barf is similar, is that the ratio replicates the approximate ratio of bone, meat and organs available in prey animals. I know some people supplement due to the fact that animals we feed are generally farmed and the nutrient values potentially different from grass fed animals but it is my believe that the core principles are sound and I am happy with that.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm baffled by it :eek: by love the 'working dog heavy duty' :eek: :lol:

Also why feed cooked fish? Feeding 3 times a day :eek: can't see a 2year old heavy duty working dog having time for 3 meals a day, mine certainly don't :p
it has other options such as, inactive, active, very active, working dog light duty, work dog moderate duty and work dog heavy duty!!!

not sure why it has cooked fish.

i thought the meals a day was strange! i tried a few combos and a pup 4-6wks was 3 meals and a senior dog 7 yrs+ was 4 meals!!??

No idea how accurate it is. Another example for computers is http://www.netrophic.com/misc/NewPersonalDogFeedingGuide.xls which can be opened by Apache OpenOffice - The Free and Open Productivity Suite if you do not have Microsoft Excel. I know most values for nutrients in meat/bones etc come from nutritional databases. The question is of course how accurate are they themselves. I'm sure they are accurate for the specific chunk tested but there are going to be variations depending on so many factors such as the farmed animals diet, age etc. Added to which the nutrient "balance" also has so many factors with different vitamins potentially affecting others which I doubt is factored in. If these values are out then you start getting into difficulty as everything else is built on them.

The other thing to consider of course is the fact if the perfect "required" nutritional content was known all food manufacturer's would be the same. They are not.

Given this, I sometimes wonder how obsessive you really need to be. After all I am sure if you look at your daily intake and compare it with your "recommended" daily nutrient list it would be off kilter. ;)

The idea of prey model and I assume barf is similar, is that the ratio replicates the approximate ratio of bone, meat and organs available in prey animals. I know some people supplement due to the fact that animals we feed are generally farmed and the nutrient values potentially different from grass fed animals but it is my believe that the core principles are sound and I am happy with that.
thanks for yr input, what do you think about the shopping list and variety of food?

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
what do others think of this? x

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.