Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

dog question

Discussion in 'Dog Rescue and Adoption' started by heydawg, May 8, 2010.

1. heydawg

heydawg PetForums Newbie

hey guys/girls i wanna adopt a dog i wonder if you can tell me where is there a dog pound in london i cant find anything over google and i also would like to know if its true that in the dog pound you get a dog for free?thank you for the help ;P

EDIT:**i live in west london

2. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

A joke right??? :eek: :eek:

Q1 = Battersea......

And Q2 = NO!!

3. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

You would need to contact your local council to find out what they do with strays.

Pound dogs are not free. The council will make a charge to cover their kennelling fees, and dont always rehome to the general public. Also bear in mind the dog will be unvaccinated, unwormed etc, and not assessed for behavioural or medical problems.

Even if the dog is "cheap" you may end up paying more then you would from an official rescue centre.

4. heydawg

heydawg PetForums Newbie

why would it be a joke i was verry serious

thats all i needed to know thanks

5. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

Sorry just seemed like a joke! I obviously got it wrong..... just the thought of someone thinking they could get a free dog these days :rolleyes:, and someone in london not thinking of going to Battersea! Sorry again..... i got you wrong.

6. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Battersea Dog & Cats Home in South London (of course)
    also
    The Mayhew Animal Home which is in West London
    and your local council's animal pound.

There are others... but this is a very good place to start:
    Dog Rescue Pages - UK Adoption and rehoming centres

Unfortunately they won't be free as ALL rescues need a donation at least, just to continue the work they do with homeless animals..... BUT in a good rescue centre the donation will include microchip, spaying/neutering, vaccination and full health checks. If you took on a dog and wanted to get all these things done yourself, it could cost twice the amount of the usual donation fee asked by rescues.

#6 MerlinsMum, May 9, 2010
    Last edited: May 9, 2010
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice