Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog pulling like a steam train

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by dickybirdclocks, Apr 28, 2011.

1. dickybirdclocks

dickybirdclocks PetForums Junior

Dog is only 13 weeks old so have only just started taking him out walking (Had to wait for 2nd Vaccination) He is a Rhodesian Ridgeback 15kg and i would expect him to be strong but Jeez this dog could pull a house down so i dread to think what he will be like without some training to stop the pulling.

2. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

He's only a baby and everything is new and exciting of course he's going to pull. Everytime he puts tension on the lead stop dead don't move until he stops. It might take a while but he'll get it. Or try stopping and turning in the opposite direction when he pulls. When he's walking calmly praise him, give him a treat. Don't worry about getting him to walk to heel just yet work on getting him to walk on a loose lead first. It's better to start now rather than when he's a fully grown ridgeback

3. WaveRider

WaveRider PetForums Senior

Spot on advice in reference to stopping dead. Even if you have to wait a minute or two, just stop followed by a comment or noise so they know and become associated to that reaction.

I have two Ridgebacks and neither pull. Get them off the lead early in development as to burn off that energy, My 14 week puppy has been off for several weeks now. Go for it.....

4. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Worked for us too; Kilo also no longer pulls unless something very exciting like a rabbit is spied. We had the episode in the rain where I waited 10 cold, wet miserable minutes...I just about held out and he hasn't really tried much since, along with plenty of rewards (treats / toy etc) for having a nice loose lead. He has been off lead since his very first walk and I agree that the chance to burn off that energy is invaluable in terms of behaviour.

5. dickybirdclocks

Ben pulls like a steam train in reverse - His first time out in the rain and he didnt take to the walk very easily ,i had to drag for a few minutes .He then gave in and went with the flow .Had his first training lessson last night a bit chaotic - a larger dog than him Choc lab i think gave him a few clouts sending him scurrying back to me ,he must be very intelligent because rightly or wrongly he bided his time and when the time came he leapt on the lab biting back of his neck as if to say "Hey dont mess with a ridgeback" he then reverted to his calm well behaved mode.

6. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Ah, I thought you meant he tried to pull forwards, sorry :eek:. I guess if he is reluctant to go forwards you need to make it rewarding for him to do so...treats / toy/ exciting places etc.

Glad the training went OK; Kilo was very calm his first one as it was a little overwhelming...he then spent 2 weeks bouncing up and down and play bowing like tigger at Oscar the lovely GSP who just did the same back. He would do as I asked but had little focus. By the fourth session he had calmed enough to listen to me amongst the other dogs and he was great from then onwards.

We are starting with another trainer next Monday as I did not like the first one too much. She couldn't really control the class, recommended pretty bad food and taught 'drop' by scruffing and shaking your dog. I refused in front of the rest of the class and had to demonstrate that Kilo would drop in another way (swapped toy for toy).

7. dickybirdclocks

Ben is 81/2 months old now and will behave while out on his lead albeit with the odd reminder but if we go to say a car boot sale in a field he pulls like a steam engine often in an efffort to get to manure ,Now in such situations he wears a gencon combined head collar and lead and walks to perfection ,it is difficult to make ground though because it seems everyone there wants to stop us to talk about Ben and stroke him etc.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice