Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog prong collar

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by moni.kate, Apr 2, 2019.

1. moni.kate

moni.kate PetForums Newbie

Hello!

I have a 3-year-old pit bull who is very strong and loves to tug my arm off on walks! In result, I haven't been able to walk him because my hand swells up from holding the leash so tight. My friend told me to check out a prong collar for him since I have tried leash leaders, chock chains, a harness, and training classes to teach him to heal by my side. None of them worked until I used a prong collar. I was hesitant at first because I feared it would hurt him but when I saw a night and day difference I was excited to be able to take my dog on walks again as he deserves. Although, I bought one at Petco which was extremely hard to take off and on because you had to push the prongs together to remove the collar so I bought one at PetSmart that had a clip which was very easy to take off and on but the prongs were too loose/flimsy that they unhooked while walking my dog and he broke free. So I'm back on the search for a new prong collar.

Any recommendations on a prong collar that has the clip option that is durable and reliable?

Thanks,
    Monica

2. Lexiedhb

Lexiedhb Team Ginger!

3. Squeeze

Squeeze PetForums VIP

I’m guessing you’re from America...?
    I can honestly say I’ve never even seen a prong collar for sale in the UK let alone anyone use one...

#3 Squeeze, Apr 2, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
  4. moni.kate

Yes I am. I forgot pit bulls are banned in the UK. What a shame :( might be the reason why there is no need for those collars. I'm sure you guys have other larger breeds that are extremely strong. What do you recommend for a dog who tugs a lot on walks?

5. Veba

Veba PetForums Member

A harness and training.

6. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Dogs have a natural instinct to pull against pressure, it's a safety thing (oppositional reflex if you want to read more about it). But loose leash walking can be trained if you apply a little patience. Have a look at this video below. Far better to have your dog choose to walk gently than have him do it only to avoid the discomfort from the collar (you would probably walk slowly too if you had to wear really high heels that you weren't used to - it doesn't mean you would enjoy your walk).

7. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

I can't believe I'm reading this, in this day and age, try one on yourself then pull it would you really want use one your a dog, horrific. [​IMG]

8. moni.kate

I did use it on myself... and I don't have as much skin on my neck as my dog does. I mentioned I was hesitant to use one until I noticed my dog doesn't choke himself anymore. He fainted once from tugging so hard with a regular leash and collar.

9. moni.kate

Thank you! I'll give this a try!

rona likes this.
  10. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Have you tried a headcollar something like this, we had a large powerful dog and it was very easy to control him in one of these.
    https://www.dogmatic.org.uk/

11. moni.kate

Oh a leash leader, yes! I tried that and it worked for a little bit until he would stop and rub his face on the cement to try and get it off. It got so bad that when we got home he had scraps, cuts, and blood on his face. Poor guy :( That device is pretty smart, I could try using it again and train the behavior of trying to take it off out of him.

12. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

The best way to get a dog to walk nicely on a leash is through training. Tools can help give you control whilst you are training, but the dog needs to understand what you want from him. The prong collar works by making it painful to pull. I much prefer to teach it the opposite way around and show my dog that walking by my side is rewarding. It does take time, but is worth it. In the meantime, a useful tool to help gain control is a harness with two points of contact (one at the back and one on the chest) and a double-ended leash. Some dogs do adjust to headcollars, but some do not.

13. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

Whilst discussion about prong collars is fine...promotion of the tool is not!

As everyone is being polite I will leave this open for now...I will reply properly with how I taught my 37kg Ambull to walk on a loose leash without a prong when I'm back :confused:

14. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

We have a member from the US who knows about prong collars so I think she is the one to come with a balanced view on them. I would say though that if you are not able to train your dog and his pulling is that bad then a prong collar is certainly kinder than letting him choke himself and cut off his breathing. I would suggest you try training as well and hope that you win through and just think of the prong collar as emergency first aid. I have never seen one used so have no idea how harsh they are but I know they are used more in the US.

15. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

I saw prong collars being used in person in the UK for the first time just the other week. And it made me sad.
    But
    They were using them instead of choke leads, and the usual choke leads round here don't have safely stoppers limiting damage. So Blitz's point here is also my opinion.

(I do have issue with the American guidance advice being to use them high up on the most sensitive part of the neck possible though. For some breeds with a naturally tapered neck this makes a smidgen of sense, but it's not a universal dog thing and the advice is universal rather than tailored.)

JoanneF, rona and Blitz like this.
  16. petdogworld

petdogworld PetForums Newbie

I don’t like the sound of that, just googled it and it pinches the dog’s skin! I think a harness would be a lot kinder.

Bugsys grandma and Lurcherlad like this.
  17. rona

rona Still missing my boys

That must be awful to watch and that on top of your swollen hand and I don't blame you for trying to change that.
    It's very difficult to train on a whole long walk, maybe you could break it up into lots of little outings, you could then be more comfortable to train and you should be able to keep his attention for short periods. You could also practice getting his attention on you when at home as this helps when out and about
    It's not a quick fix, took me a whole year with one of my rescue dogs, but it's well worth it.
    I used 2 completely different leads, one he knew he could relax a little and sniff and the other he had to behave 100%

I wish you luck

18. Rott lover

Rott lover once you go black and tan you never come back

the real shame is using a prong collar. I am in the usa as well and they should be banned. You don't think they hurt the dog but they do. That's the reason for the good walking is because you are putting him in pain. Choke collars are bad as well because you could crush the dogs windpipe. Proper training be it clicker or tone and treat positive reinforcement is the way to go. Don't just look for the quick fix because it is not really doing anyone any favors.

Picklelily and lorilu like this.
  19. Rott lover

Rott lover once you go black and tan you never come back

my neighbor had PBT that pulled like a freight train and I was trying to help as well with finding something that worked for them. Unfortunately we found the combination too late as he broke his dads arm before we found it. Tone training with treats, along with a double handle harness with a gentle leader. it took a good two months of 3 walks a day to get him to walk nicely. Now you don't need anything but a normal collar and leash and he stays by your side at all times.

20. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

My advice would be to ditch the prong and work on teaching him to walk nicely. Pitties are notorious for habituating to punishment (aka punishment callous) and the number of pitties I've seen hauling their owners around impervious to the prong digging in to their neck.... Yeah, he'll get used to the prong too.
    And as you've seen, a good yank will pop it off, so prongs aren't the safest either.

I'm just going to climb up on my offended platform and have a rant so fair warining ;)

One, as the owner of a very large, powerful dog who's probably got a good smattering of pitbull in him, it pisses me off to no end that a dog's size is used as an excuse to use certain tools. When my children were 6, they could walk both our great danes (and the aforementioned pit bull mix) on a loose leash with plain flat collars. In crowds, at a parade, wherever. It's called training.
    Pit bulls are no different than any other dog, and are often much more trainable than many breeds. No reason a pit bull can't learn how to walk nicely on a leash.

Two, the above said, I'm sick to death of prongs being labeled as the height of cruelty while people still slap on head harnesses with no desensitization, or allow their dogs to pull for years on a slip lead, then wonder why all these gun dogs end up with laryngeal paralysis and thyroid issues. Not related to chronic micro injuries to all that delicate neck tissue? Hrm... Prongs by comparison are far less dangerous to the dog's well-being.
    Do they hurt? Yes. That's why they work. It's the exact same principle as putting a bit in a horse's mouth and attaching reins to it. If the dog pulls he feels enough discomfort to motivate him to stop pulling. You release the pressure on the leash, dog figures out how to make the prong not hurt. Used properly, they basically just sit there on the dog's neck and don't hurt, and mild pressure lets the dog know we're turning this way or that way.
    Bits operate on the same principle. Just sitting in the horse's mouth they don't hurt. Horses learn quickly to respond to mild pressure. Some horses who have been yanked on their whole lives have mouths of steel. Same happens with dogs and prongs. Hence why other ways are so much better.
    Are they the height of cruelty what need to be banned? No. Not IMO.

Three, I'm also sick to death of people with zero experience with a tool having their "OMG how cruel can you be?!" shock and outrage hissy fit. *waiting for the embedded collar pictures to pop up.*
    If we're going to educate people on better ways, which I'm all for, we have to not lose credibility by sounding like ignorant furbaby parents who have no clue. Way to completely tune out the message.
    I have successfully talked hundreds of owners out of prongs (with gear swap booths at dog events) but you don't do it by starting out by attacking the owner who is probably only doing the best they know to do. When we know better, we do better. Let's help people know better with information instead of judgement.

You probably have and didn't realize it. I don't know about in the UK, but in the US more and more people are simply choosing to cover their prongs than deal with the judgement, merited or not. Once on, it looks like a regular martingale collar.
    [​IMG]

#20 O2.0, Apr 2, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice