Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog problem

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by lutepatrick, Aug 1, 2019.

1. lutepatrick

lutepatrick PetForums Newbie

Got a collie/German Shepard cross. It's about 5 months old but its very skinny. It doesn't have any fat at all and it's fed very well. Ever since we got it it has been eating its own poop. Which can be 10 times in 24 hours. It also eats stones all the time. I've read they do this if they aren't getting all their nutrients and It looks for food 24/7. It's mother was the skinniest German Shepard i ever saw if that means anything. They said it wasn't a big eater but that's not the case with our dog. Does it sound like there's a problem?

2. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

Has he been wormed regularly and I would make sure you pick his poo up as soon as he goes to the toilet,also what are you feeding him:)

Lurcherlad and wee man like this.
  3. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Yes.

I’d get the dog checked by a vet.

Also take steps to stop it eating poo and stones.

If the mother had the same issues, I’m surprised they bred from her tbh :(

Torin., O2.0, Burrowzig and 2 others like this.
  4. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Stones can accumulate and need surgery to remove them so you have to stop him eating these. If he eats his own poo ten times a day, that sounds like he is pooing a huge amount - I'd be looking for a vet check.

LinznMilly, Torin., wee man and 2 others like this.
  5. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Lurcherlad likes this.
  6. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Great minds think alike - fools never differ! ;)

JoanneF likes this.
  7. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

Vet check, as everyone else says.

What are you feeding him??

8. lutepatrick

I don't think it has been wormed. Yea we try but it nearly waits until we're not there to go so it can eat it. We'd need 24 hour watch to catch it every time lol

We started off feeding him a milk based puppy feed but every time it went it was runny so changed it to bakers puppy feed.

@Lurcherlad The guy we bought off said these puppies were an accident and he didn't plan on breeding them so I don't know if he uses that dog to breed regularly.

9. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

You could certainly give him something more nutritious than Bakers; either for the same price or less.

Have a look at www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk

It is an independent dog food comparison website which scores all types of foods (dry, raw, wet) out of 100. You can set filters for your dog's breed, weight, age etc. and for your daily budget; then you can add in any specific needs you have such as aiming for weight loss or avoiding specific ingredients. The website will automatically show the foods listed in order of what the assessors believe is best quality, and it also will show daily feeding cost (calculated from your dog's age and weight) so you can see what gives you best value for money. It has its limitations but it's a decent place to start.

LinznMilly and Lurcherlad like this.
  10. Carsonspride

Carsonspride PetForums Junior

Why are you calling the dog 'it'. Why not he or she?

LinznMilly, lorilu, O2.0 and 2 others like this.
  11. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Has he been scolded for toileting accidents?

Torin. and O2.0 like this.
  12. lutepatrick

I don't know why lol ill refer to her as she from now on.

@Lurcherlad Not really, i try not to as i read you're not meant to but if she does I put her straight outside into the garden. We give her treats when she goes outside and she knows this as she comes over looking it after.

I'm going to bring her to the vet first thing tomorrow morning.

If anyone's interested i'll update back here tomorrow

niamh123 and Kakite like this.
  13. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Please do let us know how you get on.
    Both Collies and German Shepherds are commonly subject to food intolerances - grains and cooked chicken are ones that crop up most frequently. Bakers is about the worst food you can get too, containing cereals (whichever ones are cheapest at the time, they are not listed individually on the ingredients) as well as colourings which the dogs can't even see! The fact that your dog is eating her own poos indicates that the food is not being digested properly; she can smell the food still in it, so goes back for another try at getting the nutrients.
    Try a grain free food, I'd suggest a white fish and potato based one as these are usually gentle on the digestion. Fishmongers from Pets at Home do one which is pretty good, but there are plenty of alternatives - most will be cheaper than Bakers once you find one that suits and move on to the larger bags. And probiotics can help a lot too - Protexin make a few different sorts for dogs which you can buy from online veterinary pharmacies.

Lurcherlad and O2.0 like this.
  14. lutepatrick

Here's the update. So we were talking to someone and they said she could have IBD and that's why the mother was so skinny as well so we contacted the breeder to find out more about the mother before we brought her to the vet but he said she didn't. He told us to bring her back and he could sort her out. So she's been there a week and we got a call today from him saying she was 100% and ready to pick her up on Monday. He said he's been feeding her Royal Canin dog food.

Thanks for all your advice.

15. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

So she didn't see a vet then? ….. :rolleyes:

O2.0, Lurcherlad and Torin. like this.
  16. lutepatrick

Why does she need to see a vet if she's fine???

17. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

You were sold a dog who was not healthy & now you are taking the breeders advice that the dog is 'fine'. He obviously wasn't concerned about her health before the sale so why would you trust his advice or opinion now?

18. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

She wasn't fine. And the mother wasn't fine. I can't imagine why you would have let her go back there. I hope you will take her straight to the vet. I don't understand why you didn't do that in the first place.

LinznMilly, tabelmabel and Lurcherlad like this.
  19. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

If your pup isn’t 100% when you get her back, take her to a Vet.

She is half GSD, and there is a genetic predisposition in this breed to endocrine issues leading to Pancreatitis.

tabelmabel and Lurcherlad like this.
  20. lutepatrick

Yes that's the plan

Linda Weasel, tabelmabel and niamh123 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice