Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

dog "pretends" to be afraid

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Deltech, Jul 11, 2019 at 9:31 PM.

1. Deltech

Deltech PetForums Newbie

I know you will all think I am mad, but our long haired chihuahua (1 year old, had him 3 months) "pretends" to be afraid of me when anyone else is around. When my partner is out he is all over me like a best pal. But as soon as she gets home he exhibits all the signs of fear towards me.

If he was human I would say it is an act to paint me in a bad light.

I have even considered borrowing a bodycam to video his behaviour when my partner is out because I am not convinced she believes me.

Why is he doing this?

2. Ian246

Ian246 PetForums Member

Without actually seeing the body language it’s impossible to say what’s going on. However, there is absolutely no way your dog is pretending anything. There must be something much deeper going on here. Sorry to say so and sorry to be rather unhelpful, but without seeing what is actually happening, anything else is pure speculation.

O2.0, Burrowzig and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Dogs do not 'pretend'.

O2.0, Burrowzig and Lurcherlad like this.
  4. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

What does this dog do? As @Rafa says dogs don't pretend

5. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Quite possibly she picks up some tension from you or your partner when you're together. Do you behave any differently towards her ?
    When my children were small they did behave differently( ie, better !) when they were with one parent as opposed to both.
    Maybe she feels a little overwhelmed by the 2 of you together.
    3 months is early days so she's still getting to know you both.

Lurcherlad, tabelmabel and niamh123 like this.
  6. Ian246

Ian246 PetForums Member

I have felt in the past with one dog that she would ‘play up’ when other people were present - like a child showing off to strangers or being deliberately naughty. In reality p, of course, she wasn’t being deliberately naughty and certainly not showing off. More likely us that she was disturbed by having strangers present which led to a change in her behaviour. That’s along the lines of what Susierainbow is suggesting, I think: that there’s a change in the dynamic when you are both together which is directly leading to a change in your dog’s behaviour.

tabelmabel, Burrowzig and Lurcherlad like this.
  7. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Is he getting more attention from your partner when he behaves like this. He might be learning it pays him to do it. On the other hand there might be an undercurrent between you that is making him nervous. I would ignore it and give him time to adjust.

8. CheddarS

CheddarS PetForums VIP

You are putting human emotions on a situation...it’s a dog!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice