Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog phobia

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by SarahEWest202020, Oct 3, 2020.

1. SarahEWest202020

SarahEWest202020 PetForums Newbie

Hi just wondered if there are any other recovering dog-phobics on here who now own dogs?

I was badly bitten as a child and have worked hard to overcome my fears, we now have a gorgeous little puppy.

i will admit to the occasional wobble when he barks or growls or nips too hard still. Although I’m trying not to show him that.

Would love to hear from anyone with similar experiences x

2. SarahEWest202020

SarahEWest202020 PetForums Newbie

Should probably add that I’m still terrified of large dogs!

3. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Not recovering, but recovered and I am now a fully fledged Dog Person. :D
    And Yup, it took me longer to get over the vocals (my dog Max was an adult rescue) than it did anything else.

Luckily, Max was a very vocal dog and growled a lot in play. He taught me a lot about the many different sounds a dog can make, ( :rolleyes: ) and that helped calm me down. Once I learned what he was saying, and that his growling was often play growling, then I found my fear fell away pretty quickly.

For me, it wasn't because I was bitten, and it was never a size thing, I don't think. In fact, I can't remember why exactly my fear started, but but do know it started with a fear of one particular Staffie (apologies to the Staffie owners on here), and escalated from there. By the time I was 15, I panicked if I had to leave the house alone and there was A Dog in the street, and behind every corner there was A Dog waiting to ambush me and go for the jugular. :rolleyes:

I must say, my brother was awesome during this time, and very, very patient with me. If I saw a dog and slowed down, stopped, eyes glued on the dog, then he'd slow down with me. If I had to cross over to avoid, he'd come with me and continue chatting like there was nothing to worry about, which of course, there wasn't.

I also remember one particular time after we got Max, and he and my bro were wrestling on the floor. Max would get all bitey and go for my bro's hands and arms, and frequently had Bro's hands/arms in his mouth. Bro would calmly grab Max's jaw and let him mouth his hands for a bit. :eek: Meanwhile I'mon the edge of the settee thinking I'm watching my bro being mauled. :D

But I think that was the beginning of thelast nail in the coffin for the fear for me. Seeing Bro walk away unscathed and completely calm and relaxed helped me to realise that a dog can sound murderous and not mean it. If we'd adopted a dog like Milly before Max, I'd probablystill be scared of any dog growling now. :)

Oh, and yes. Now I have Milly (lurcher/ whipped cross Jack Russell x monumental PITA :D ) and Honey, a pedigree Chihuahua. :)

#3 LinznMilly, Oct 3, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
    kimthecat and Boxer123 like this.
  4. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

My oldest grandson, now 15, was terrified of dogs after being nipped by his other grandparents' Cocker spaniel when he was a toddler ( it was a playful, over excted nip, not agressve)
    Then my daughter's best friend got a Westie puppy and she involved GS from the start, visiting the puppy and gong to fetch him. That helped a lot and he now has a good relationship with my 2 little dogs and has gained Reena's trust which is a feat in itself. He's still wary with big, bouncy dogs though.

LinznMilly likes this.
  5. LotsaDots

LotsaDots PetForums Senior

I grew up with dogs and had no fear at all until about 6 months ago when Dottie my 4 year old PITA terrier escaped from my mums farm to her neighbours. I pegged it after her and ended up cornered by 4 large and very angry collies. I was bitten on the thigh and leg, luckily not badly. Dottie came out completely unscathed. I don't blame the dogs they were protecting their property but I am now much more wary of any dog I don't know approaching me. It was not a pleasent experience!

6. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I was never as bad as phobic, but was a bit scared of dogs after my grandparents dog (wire fox terrier) used to growl and bare teeth at me and my sister in a quite threatening way - I think he did bite my sister, or at least tried to and I remember being trapped by him behind a table - I was about 4. I didn't like dogs, and was a cat person. In my forties, I volunteered on a nature reserve, and the assistant warden had a border collie called Bob who was so polite that if you gave him something from your packed lunch and he didn't like it, he's go and dump it behind a bush and come back acting as if he's really enjoyed it. I got very fond of Bob and decided to get a dog once my current cat had gone; one thing was I wanted to do more travelling in the UK and the dog could come with me and there was no-one round at the time to keep an eye on the cat at home.
    So I started with a rescue dog, a collie cross and went on to get another dog. Ended up with 4 though I'm down to 2 now.

LinznMilly likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice