Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog pees on my bed every time I get back from travelling

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by SMBenitez, Jul 10, 2019.

1. SMBenitez

SMBenitez PetForums Newbie

Me and my family travel often because of our jobs. But we never ALL travel at the same time. There’s 5 of us and there is ALWAYS at least 2 of us at home with our dog (he’s a french bull dog, almost 4 years old). But half of the month there is usually all 5 of us at home.

Every time I come back from travelling (usually 3-14 days) he’s so excited to see me and we’ll spend lots of time together BUT that day or over the next couple of days he’ll pee 1-2 times on my bed! And then a few days later he’ll go back to normal. He does the same thing to every member in my family when they come back from travelling. We think it’s his way of saying “stop leaving me!” But we’re not sure. Like I said before there are always people in the house with him who take him out 2-3 times a day for 20minutes-45 minutes each time.

We all moved to Spain about 6 months ago and he still does the same thing here too. The first 2 years we had him I didn’t travel for work and sometimes he would pee in my bed whenever my boyfriend was around so we thought it was a “dominance” or “territory” thing and stopped allowing him in my room when my boyfriend would stay over, we then crate trained him and that pretty much solved it. But since a year now I’ve been travelling back and fourth between London and Spain and he does this peeing business every time. Sometimes he won’t target our beds but just a random place in the house often in front of us so we think he is doing it deliberately. He isn’t an aggressive dog and doesn’t bark much so we think this is his way of trying to communicate but we’re aren’t sure. PLEASE HELP!

2. Ian246

Ian246 PetForums VIP

How about not allowing him on your bed? It will also set some boundaries. Can you not keep the door closed? Exclude him from the bedroom somehow? That would seem to solve that problem (and overcome the risk of him dropping dirt, hair, fleas, ticks, etc, on your bed.) Just a suggestion.
    He isn't doing it deliberately, by the way. He may be so excited to see you that he cannot control himself (nervous peeing), but he's certainly not trying to semd some sort of message - dogs don't think that way..

3. SMBenitez

Thanks for the reply Ian246!

I don’t think I mentioned it in the original post but we do close the doors now (on the odd occasion someone (usually one of my brothers) forgets to) - but even if we do close all the doors he still does the same thing but instead of in the bed he’ll specifically do it in front of the person who has just got back from travelling.

In general he isn’t allowed on anyone’s beds anymore, the only time he goes in my bedroom now is when I put him in his crate, (or if someone has forgotten to close the door like I mentioned before).

If he’s nervous peeing because of excitement would he wait a couple hours to pee after we’ve greeted each other or would he do it straight away? I thought that might be the case but he always does it’s a few hours later or even the next day (and sometimes AGAIN the day after that) and from observation he’s not excited or anything like that in the moment when he does pee, he seems calm and not in any kind of heightened mood.

A couple of times he has come up to me looking for attention and if I ignore him he’ll wait a minute then pee in front of me. Which makes me think it’s an attention thing? This has only happened twice though. All other times have been when someone gets back from travelling - although that could still suggest it’s an attention thing.

If it is, how do we make him stop peeing? We all try to give him attention throughout the day - like I said in the original post we take him out 2-3 times a day for long walks (and being in Spain his walks are much nicer by the beach and mountains than in London haha!). He has toys too. We can’t give him attention 24/7. But in saying that he only wants attention (and pees) after we get back from travelling. A couple days later he’s fine being by himself and doesn’t pee in the house or act up or anything.

4. Ian246

Ian246 PetForums VIP

OK, I see. What's your reaction when he pees? If it results in attention (of some sort - any fuss, or anything like that) he may have identified that he gets a reaction from you when he pees. If he's seeking attetion and he has learnt that he gets it through peeing, he will pee. The answer is to not make a fuss when he pees - just clean it up. The problem I can see is that if he's been doing it for a long time and you've been reacting (and therefore reinforcing the behaviour if he's getting what he's looking for) it may be well ingrained and it's going to take some time - that's not to say it cannot be overcome, it may just take time.
    What do you so when you get back home? Do you make a fuss of him or do you greet the other people first and ignore him initially? The latter course is the best. How about ignoring him initially, then taking him outside where he can pee if he wants to? Without actually seeing what's going on, I'm finding it really difficult to work out what might be happening - others may be able to help. (And, no, I'm not giving up - just a bit stumped withot seeing what is going on in your house between your arrival and when he pees.)

#4 Ian246, Jul 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  5. SMBenitez

Ah okay - yes we have been making a fuss about it/ reaction when he pees. And yes we do generally greet him first - our mistake! I think I have tried ignoring him once or twice and he did the same thing, but I guess once or twice isn’t long enough!

Will try your suggestions - thanks!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice