Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog pee in unwanted places help?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by PoisonGirl, Apr 17, 2011.

1. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Ewwwwwwww :eek:

I just had to take my washing line out of the ground (its a whirly) so I could move the dog run and the pole of the washing line STINKS of dog pee :(

The only time I saw Dave wee there and he was missing the washing line completely but he must be peeing there loads.

I am about to start teaching them to go to the loo in the kennel only but I know that when I am not watching them they will wee where they are so how do I stop him weeing on my washing line?

Also is there a way to encourage him to wee in one place?

And is there anything I can do to stop Dixie's wee killing my grass? (actually it could be Beckys Trixie) there are wee brown patches of grass.

2. SixStar

SixStar Banned

A dog doesn't like soiling it's living/sleeping space, so I wouldn't teach them to pee in their kennel, it's not fair on them.

As for stopping him peeing up your washing line, I'm not really sure what can be done. Perhaps scrub it down with bio washing powder to remove any smells so he isn't attracted back there through scent, but he may well keep using it out of habit. I have a few old tree stumps in my garden (that we've put there, not from actually chopping down trees) and the dogs are quite keen to pee up against these, so maybe something similar would work for Dave. He would probably scent mark a new item in his garden so that'd get him using it, and then you could just give him heaps of praise every time he lifts his leg there. Like how you'd train a puppy.

Dog Rocks are really good for stopping lawn burn. They're all natural, just these special rocks that you put in the dogs water bowl and they help change the pH of the dogs urine to help make it less acidic, and therefore reduce lawn burn. I used to use them with my boys and we have good results- although I've finally wised up to the fact you can't have a nice garden and dogs at the same time!

3. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

They dont live in the kennel sorry forgot to say that.
    Its at the top of my garden and eventually we will fence off the top of the garden that they are only allowed to poo there because I want to be able to let my kids out in the garden without having to worry about poo :eek:

Where do I get the rocks from?

I admitted I was never going to have a nice garden years ago :lol:
    My friend said about my neighbours grass today 'dont you wish you had nice grass like that?' and I said 'yeah.. but I chose to have dogs instead' :lol:

I have to stop them tearing about the garden like loons,... they can do that on walks. We have a big muddy strip down the garden where they run then bring it in the house. I wish I had astroturf! :lol:

#3 PoisonGirl, Apr 17, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  4. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Even if they don't actually live in the kennel it's still their space and they shouldn't really be taught to pee there IMO. It's like training a puppy to pee in a crate- it doesn't live in there, but it's their own special place. Of course it's up to you, but dogs just don't like doing it.

You can get the Dog Rocks from here Dog Rocks - Dog Rocks pet healthcare I think Pets At Home might do them too.

5. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

They already sometimes pee in there anyway.
    They are going to have to learn to pee in their own area of the garden like it or not unfortunately. I don't want them peeing and pooing all over the garden.
    My puppy when she comes along will be trained from day one where she can and cant toilet but we have only lived here under a year so the dogs were already use to going where they wanted as our garden before wasn't big enough to split.

I have a pets at home here so will go and have a look at the rocks.
    How long to they last/or how often are you supposed to replace them?

6. SixStar

SixStar Banned

I think it's every 6 weeks you're meant to replace them, can't remember for sure though, I stopped using them a couple of years ago.

I don't care where you teach your dogs to pee, I was just pointing out they don't like soiling their kennel space.

7. sleepyhollow

sleepyhollow Banned

8. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

No I meant if they like it or not. They already have been to the loo in there so I don't think they can be that bothered. They have the whole of the garden to run about in so Im not sure they really see the run as 'their space'

9. metaldog

metaldog PetForums VIP

Spread a thick layer of vicks vaporub around the bottom of your whirly, dogs hate the smell and will avoid the area. It will need to be re-applied regularly but is should work :)

10. mumtobruce

mumtobruce PetForums Newbie

Do you excercise them or are they just having the run of your garden. I trained my dog to pee or poop on command but you have to take them out regulary for walks if you are to succeed with this. If you have a young family walking your dog at regular times will be even harder work than you are doing already ok so don't beat yourself up over this. I walked my dog first thing and everytime he did pee or poop I said IN A RIDICULOUS VOICE oh woweee pee pee or poo poo and was so happy to find that after three or four days he did exactly that when I said do pee pee . Don't try to get them to do it in a kennell because to them that will seem like an indoors so they may do it in your home . I wish I could be more help because it sounds like you are already working your hardest but truly from my heart if you have dogs then you have to give regular walks so they learn. GOOD LUCK X

11. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Dillon will only wee on the grass verge out side our bungalow, but when I walk him, he will only toilet in the gutter I've near trained him to do that he has just always done it, Amber was the same, I'm beginning to think it's a Briard thing. As for peoples gardens I have always taught my dogs not to even walk on someone's garden, Dillon may sniff the flowers by the edge of a drive but never goes any further than that.

12. Pointermum

Pointermum PetForums VIP

13. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Yeah they have walks but that's in the evening.
    In the nice weather they get the run of the kitchen and the garden.

I'm hoping that when puppy eventually comes along and I take her to wee and poo in the fenced off area (should be getting some fencing next week to do it) then the other pair will follow. I hope! Lol

14. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Could you not walk them in the morning too? That way they probably wouldn't need to poo in the garden at all.

15. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I do plan to now that its lighter in the mornings but by the time the kids are off to bed and the dogs have been walked and ive had my tea, by the time ive had any time to myself I dont end up going to bed til quite late... nd 6 hours sleep just would not be enough for my little brain to function :eek:

Also there is the fact tht my cat follows me and ther is no way he will come in that early :(

16. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Eh?! :confused:

What has all that got to do with walking your dogs in the mornings? You don't need to get up extra early or anything to walk them?! A morning walk could be anytime that suits you in the morning- not necessarily at the crack of dawn!

17. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Because I can't take my dogs a walk unless my cat has come in the house. He gets abit daft and runs across roads etc.
    I would need to get up extra early because I have to get up at half 7 as it is to get both kids ready and leave at half 8 after getting OH up for work.

18. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Sorry but IMO having dogs means making sacrifices, including getting up earlier to walk them before you go to work, before I retired I was up and out walking at 5.45 in order to get the dog walked and the kids off to school before I left for work, like many many other dog owners. Earlier than we'd like mornings are part of dog ownership ;)

19. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

:confused: What time do you let your cat out in the morning then? Why not walk the dogs first and then let him out? I'm mean your not stupid enough to leave your cat out all night surely, so you must be getting up to let him out?

As for everything else, I'm really not sure what to suggest. I personally would never let my dog go out in the garden unattended, and she goes to the toilet on commend anyway, and on a graveled area mostly. Aren't you scared of someone stealing your dogs or them getting out?

20. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

My cats come and go as they please. They sleep most of the day and hunt at night. If I try to keep them in they get very stressed out and I'm not stupid they are happy and well looked after.

The dogs both toilet on command but they also go when they want too. In nice weather they have free access to my garden which is secure and the only way into my garden is through my secure gate.
    Ive been suggested to put jayes fluid (sp) on my washing pole as that is what my stepmum puts on the cafe front and since they have been doing it, no dogs wee there, so going to give that a try and it will get rid of the horrid smell too Lol.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice