Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog pays no attention what so ever.

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by ben1191, Nov 12, 2012.

1. ben1191

ben1191 PetForums Newbie

I have a 10 year old patterdale terrier,indoors or in the garden he is so well trained he will come to the click of my finger he will sit lay down wait speak etc,anything i ask him he would do it and hes entire focus is me.

This however changed the split second i put my trainers on and get his lead,all of a sudden im something to jump up at,whine and go insane.I can see the anxiety in him,i put the lead on and hes pulling straight away on the lead,he will pull me the entire 7 miles i walk him.He pays no attention to me,all he cares about is other dogs people rabbits and generally anything he thinks is either prey,or something to playfight with.

He Has a strange temperment,sometimes he will attack a dog,sometimes he wont,the size of the dog doesnt matter,hes a hunting dog by breed and comes from working lines,i bush rabbits with him but he had no experience of hunting untill he was about 8 as i used to live in the city.He has always done this since he was a puppy,ive tried choke chains nose collars stopping and waiting for his attention,180 degree turns when he pulls,he has no interest in food (I even took raw meat with me and he just sniffed it and kept pulling!)

When i let him off in a field etc,hes recall is fairly good,albeit he wont always come back the instant i call him,he will begin to come back within 5 seconds,but if he sees another dog theres no chance.

I have a Jack russell shes the same age but female, she is the most passive dog you could ever see,she will walk along my side with a parade of dogs infront of her and she wont even bother with them,she has no aggression towards other dogs and is good at everything i ask of her in any situation.

Whats causing my other dog to do this? im guessing its some sort of pack leadership thing, but then why does he only do it outside the house?

2. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Its quite a common thing, for dogs indoors and in the garden with nothing else of interest going and no distractions to give complete focus and follow commands as there is nothing more interesting to do and nothing about thats more rewarding. Outside though where there is distractions and other things that are much more interesting and rewarding its an entirely different thing.

The fact that he jumps up and whines and goes insane before you have even got out the door doesnt help either, his aroused and in a hyper excited state before you have even left, so is already beyond listening to anything else. So is pulling straight away and throughout the whole walk in the same deaf aroused hyper state with nothing else on his mind but to seek out dogs, rabbits and other things that are rewarding.

If hes from working lines and being a terrier he will likely have natural instincts and drives anyway that may need to be retrained, but as you have used him to work rabbits, then he has been allowed to hone and increase those skills and natural instincts, and finds that even more rewarding, so that may be the problem too or contributed to it.

If he also doesnt recall when he finds things more interesting like dogs, or prey,
    and has always done it and ignored you, or doesnt instant recall anyway, again he does it likely because he can and knows he can and doesnt have to come back and there isnt much you can do about it.

As regards to sometimes attacking dogs sometimes not, its possible that ones that dont put up a challenge or he feels he doesnt need to he doesnt, if others set up a challenge he will then take it up, or if they approach in a certain way he will challenge them. Dogs can even react seemingly agressively as a defence thing anyway, if they are unsure about a dog, sometimes they will display what seems to be outright agression but if the are especially in a position where they feel threatned and cant get away, will stand their ground and try to ward the other dog off, out of uncertainty or fearfulness, fight if you cant take flight in defence. Cant say which his is of course because cant see him or the situations he does it in.

You will need really to start at the beginning and work through the problems in stages as its not just one thing or reason why he does all the things he does sounds like its more a chain reaction starting before you leave the house, and because the problems have never been addressed and sorted as they arose, and he is now in bad habits.

You need to start working on the initial problem before he leaves the house in an aroused state. getting him under control there first. Then work forward a bit at a time. Its not going to be a quick fix likely either as he has been doing it so long and gotten into the bad habits.

First thing you can do, but you need loads of time, and need to do it repeatedly and consistently, is to not reward the jumping whining insane behaviour at the start. if you get your trainers and he starts, put them away again sit down pick up the paper or watch TV and totally ignore him, and then try again, if he does it again do the same thing. and again and again if needs be. Try even changing the walk shoes for different shoes or boots and catch him out. if you use those only for walks he knows what it means.
    Once he will stay calm get the lead out, if he starts the insane behaviour do the same with the lead as you did with the shoes. Another thing you can do, is just clip the lead on and walk away and ignore him and do something else, and keep clipping the lead on at regular intervals too when your not going out and just leave it on and ignore him. Next step once the lead can be got on when his calm, and you can take hold of it without the insane behaviour is to get him sitting at the closed door, if he starts walk away and ignore him.
    When he will sit at the door, then open it if he trys to bolt out, pull him back and close it and walk away and ignore him. Keep doing it until he sits at the door and will wait with it open. You then go through and tell him to come, and he has to sit and wait until you close it and lock it, and doesnt move off until you invite him to move off. Then you deal with the walking properly on the lead next stage. As you have got him under control before you even leave the house, that should make that easier too.

You need to up general alround training too and start doing it outside with distractions. He has in fact got so many problems the best thing would probably be to take him to training classes where you will get back up and he will also be learning training in a controlled environmnent with other dogs and distractions as well. Welcome to APDT - Association of Pet Dog Trainers UK should find a trainer and classes in your area.

#2 Sled dog hotel, Nov 12, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  3. ben1191

ben1191 PetForums Newbie

what i do not get is why my other dog doesnt do what he does,shes also from working lines etc.ive never even really had to train her,she just behaved that way from the start,i can even call her off game,which is extremely hard to do with terriers and alot of well respected hunters do not believe its possible lol...

4. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Every dogs different Ive had 6, same breeds and similar breeds, some have been a doddle from the day they arrived and easy, others have made me tear my hair out and been a lot of harder work to get them sorted and taken a lot of training and behaviour modification. 5 have been rescues that you expect some baggage from and they were the easiest One rescue was a complete insane lunatic when she came at 15mths still got her now and shes nearly 15 years, the worse one was a pup I brought from a breeder and had the worse problems, yet the last pup was from a litter born in the RSPCA and she was a doddle. So some dogs as they say are sent to try us, some are angels in comparison, every dogs different even same breeds.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice