Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Dog paw is red

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by JodieM24211, Jan 27, 2018.

1. JodieM24211

JodieM24211 PetForums Newbie

My baby girls paw has gone red, I think she has been biting it, ive seen her do it a few times when shes in her bed and I tell her to stop and she does. Do i need to go to the vets or will it heal on its own? Could it be something serious or just because she has been biting it? Thanks in advance xx

Attached Files:

2. pennyLokiMUM

pennyLokiMUM PetForums Member

Can not see anything, have you checked the paw to see if there is anything caught, sometimes they can get a grass seed or something stuck, once Loki had a thorn in his paw, I bathed it in warm salty water, other time he cut it and that warranted a trip to the vets, grass seeds etc can get embedded and need removing, personally the advice on here is get to a Vet

Lurcherlad and JodieM24211 like this.
  3. JodieM24211

Thank you Penny for helping. Can you not see her paw is really red? Shes a white dog and her like skin has gone red, im looking at her other paws & they are white :/ its really wierd. She had problems with her legs before, where they have been inflamed for no reason. I exercise her leg and she whines when i pull it slowly back but that went away with anti inflammatory tablets from the vets and now its just her paw thats gone randomly red.

I will deffo take her to the vets ASAP i just wanted some advice to if it was serious or not. Thank you xx

4. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

It she continues to gnaw or lick at it then she will traumatise it more and you will probably have problems with it healing. Constant licking and gnawing alone can cause something called a lick granuloma to form. It depends whats causing it in the first place,
    they could be a foreign body of some sort in it that's uncomfortable, or dogs can get something called furuncles often reffered to as interdigital cysts that can be started by a foreign body and/or bacterial infection. Or they can get fractured or broken nails that can lead to a nail bed infection sometimes. It all depends if there is something medical going on and what. Have you examined the paws and inbetween the toes and inbetween the pads and nails etc to see if there may be something obvious that's causing it.

JodieM24211 likes this.
  5. CuddleMonster

CuddleMonster PetForums VIP

Has she been walked anywhere different? We have a reddish kind of mud around here and if I walk my dog through certain fields she can end up with red paws.

JodieM24211 likes this.
  6. JodieM24211

Ive touched her nails and her paws and nothing hurts, ive looked like inside the paws but she wont let me touch it for long, its just red in there. She couldnt walk for 3 days properly but now shes running around fine but her paw is still red

7. JodieM24211

I have a large bit of grass that I walk her on, thats the only place i walk her except the park but she hasent been in a while. I walked her yesterday and after her walk her paw was really red (i thought maybe it was because the grass was cold) it goes light red randomly and dark red in the picture i posted with this thread

8. thatbullieboy

thatbullieboy PetForums Newbie

Hiya. Just come back to this Forum, so my reply might be a bit 'after the horse has bolted'! Anyways......
    I have a white EBT. White dogs are notorious for having sensitive skin.
    Sometimes when dogs chew their paws, it can be a sign of an allergic reaction, either environmental or food intolerance. Our dog did this as a young pup when we gave him peanut butter when I first noticed it: hasn't had it since.
    My dog has problems with his ears: a rotten ol' yeast infection. Yeast Infections can be a problem in the ear and on their skin.
    Long-story-short: we've stopped giving our dog kibble (dry food) and now feed him a home cooked diet with added multi vits, calcium, salmon oil and pre&probiotics. (sounds a bit OTT, but believe me I'm no Earth Mother: just don't want my boy all read and itching and/or on meds all the time = keeps the Vet Bills down too!) Seems to suit him and we have some success with keeping the Yeast from causing too much of a problem. He looks very good on it: very muscular with a lovely coat/skin.
    Does your dog have a grain/wheat free diet?
    Don't know if its any use to you but my boy can't tolerate chicken or lamb & I keep starches and carbs down to a min because of the Yeast.
    Oh, and I've just seen your comment about wet grass. I wash our boy's paws after every visit to the park (personally I wash him in a very diluted warm solution of Johnson's Baby Bath(!) and dry his feet.). I do this in the summer too to get all the pollens/grass spores off in case that starts him off.
    Know of one dog in our park who chews her paws til they are really sore. She's had allergy blood tests and it found she was allergic to the 3 most common grasses: brilliant! :(Hope by Poor girl's on Apoquel, but has this week started chewing her paws again, poor love.
    Hope by the time I get around to posting this your dog is much better and you've been able to keep her comfortable x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice