Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog past away in the night, looking for answers.

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Stayjoward, Mar 23, 2020.

1. Stayjoward

Stayjoward PetForums Newbie

Hi guys,

my 9 year old border collie passed away in the night, he has been a very fit and healthy dog.
    Last night he walked into the living room and his legs gave way and he fell over, he couldn’t seem to get back up again for around 5 minutes, he then got up again and seemed normal like it had never happened.
    We all went to bed as normal, then when I’ve got up this morning I’ve found him passed away on the kitchen floor.
    I’m just wondering if anyone could know what might have happened, It’s so hard not knowing what was wrong with him and what has ended his life.

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

So sorry this happened. It must have been a terrible shock.

Sounds like he might have had a stroke or possibly a heart attack.

Chances are he won’t have known much about it, if that helps?

So sorry for your loss :(

3. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

I'm so sorry. The way to know is to get a post-mortem at the vets. But to be honest I doubt it would help you get over it any better.

lullabydream and Lurcherlad like this.
  4. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

What a horrible thing to have happened. My guess too would be a heart attack or a stroke. My collie bitch had a stroke in 2018, she had 3 seizures in total over a matter of days. The last 2 were severe cluster seizures and she lost all sensation down her left side. She was hospitalised overnight as she was so unresponsive and I thought I was going to lose her. It took weeks for her to recover (not that she ever fully did) but I had her another 18 months.

As Sarah H said, the only true way to know is with a PM but it wont bring her back or ease your pain.

lullabydream likes this.
  5. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

He probably had a blood clot (legs giving out can be an indication) which then traveled to his heart or brain. I'm so sorry for your loss. He most likely did not suffer at all. During this time I am not even sure if you could have a necropsy done as all surgical equipment is needed for the health crisis.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Please be gentle with yourselves and realize that you will be in shock. Shock can lower your immune system so take care to stay inside and avoid exposure to other people. xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice