Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog Parks

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Emmastace, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Emmastace

Emmastace PetForums VIP

Hi, i'm sure this has been asked before but is there some kind of register I can access to find out where my nearest dog park is. I have asked our local council and the dog warden service and they just talk to me like I have landed from Mars. I ask if they can tell me if there is a purpose built, secure and enclosed dog park in the area and they say 'what do you mean?'. Doh
    If there isn't a register or site, anyone who knows of something in Bucks, Berks, Oxon I would appreciate the info.

2. kimdelyse

kimdelyse PetForums Senior

3. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

Why not just pick up the phone and call local council? They should be able to point you in right direction :D

4. Emmastace

Emmastace PetForums VIP

Hi, I have asked them....and the dog warden, they haven't even heard of the concept let alone know where one is. Also tried searching the internet and it isn't coming up with anything.

5. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

Then unfortunately I doubt you have one ;)

Maybe something you could push for if it's something you feel would be of value in your area?

6. Polimba

Polimba PetForums VIP

I live in Bucks and I've never heard of purpose dog parks, I always thought it was an American thing.

Out of interest what's the advantage?

7. Emmastace

Emmastace PetForums VIP

For me the advantage would be the security to let my dog off lead knowing it couldn't run off after something into the next county. I think the idea of them serves several purposes. In the US there are many places that you can't have dogs and children playing in the same space because of dog mess etc. You are also restricted to where your dog can be off lead. I know you are here in theory but it is often not enforced.
    Dog parks are safe and secure areas just for dogs to be able to run about and have a good time without the risk of upsetting those that don't want to have dogs around.

There must be some in this country because Sid & Kira mentioned going to one the other day, but that is hours away from me.

8. bigdogworld

bigdogworld PetForums Member

I've often thought about this. We really need more dedicated dog parks in the UK. Perhaps just fenced off sections in local parks around the country where dogs can play together safely. I haven't managed to find any around our area but I know lots of people who would use it if we had one.

I feel a petition coming on... :)

Neil.

9. Emmastace

Emmastace PetForums VIP

You are certainly in a good position to gather data. The only negative I could foresee is if by opening dog parks they then decide to take away the ability to walk dogs in other places. For example, at the moment you can walk your dog in the whole of the park but if they sectioned off one area and said 'no dogs except here' then there would be a backlash against that I think. If you could still walk your dog anywhere on lead but only off lead in the dog park area that might be a compromise. It does open up a whole can of worms :lol:

10. Phoenix&Charlie'sMum

Phoenix&Charlie'sMum PetForums VIP

The down side to a dog park is, who decides who can be let off lead?

You may be better trying to find a farmers field that is enclosed. I know of two places in northants that are enclosed areas and are safe, but their not official dog walking parks, just parks.

11. Johnderondon

Johnderondon PetForums VIP

To those who think 'dog park' sounds like a cute idea I would ask...does 'Indian reservation' also sound cute? There's the analogy. Dog parks would inevitably entail a restriction on the freedom we currently enjoy. They would not be well provisioned expansive areas because, unlike America, we do not have the space. They would be miserly segments of land into which dog owners would be crowded and contained.

Currently I have the freedom to use all of the park land around me (children's play areas excepted) and I would not relish the prospect of surrendering that freedom, far less call for it.

If owners are worried about their dogs running away then a long line or recall training are options to consider.

12. Polimba

Polimba PetForums VIP

I agree with this, although I have sympathy if you have a dog that's going to run off I don't think segregation (which is what I believe would happen) is the answer.

In this country we don't really have the space to have large enclosed areas for dogs only. I think I'd find it more stressful being in a small area where there are going to be loads of other dogs I don't know, than walking through the miles of parkland we have here.

I'm fortunate to live in a town with many parks and lakes where we can walk for hours, I really wouldn't want to give that up that freedom, which is what I could see happening if dog parks were widely introduced.

13. Emmastace

Emmastace PetForums VIP

Yes I did point all that out earlier. My dog is always on a long line but it can't be a permanent option for her as she needs full on exercise that she can't get when restricted to a 50ft lead. She recalls perfectly on a long line but it can't be tested off lead until other issues are sorted.
    Other issues can't be sorted until there is a safe place to exercise her where there is some control over her and other peoples dogs.
    My biggest problem at the moment is not my dog but other people who exercise their dogs off lead but don't have any recall that are usually owned by pompous gits

14. Emmastace

Emmastace PetForums VIP

From anything I know about dog parks in the US they are in semi-urban/urban areas where space is limited and they try and do the best for everyone. Dog owners have a designated space where they know they can let their dogs have some freedom without fear of a law suit.
    To suggest having dog parks in this country would replace any access to the rest of our green and pleasant land is ludicrous. We do have them here already and I haven't noticed anyone say that they have been restricted because of them. We just don't have many and I for one want to know if there were any near me that I haven't heard of yet.

15. bigdogworld

bigdogworld PetForums Member

I certainly wouldn't support any restrictions on dog walking in public areas. Elvis and I go walking around the countryside in our area every day and have a great time. However, we rarely see any other dogs (or people) on these walks and Elvis would love to go to a place where he can meet and play with other dogs safely.

We can go to the local parks but there are children running around and some parents get worried about a dog his size running up to them - he loves to meet everyone he sees - and the kids can get knocked over because of his size. Also some non-doggy people don't like being greeted by a 13-stone slobbery fluffball!

Children have a fenced off area in some parks for them to play safely. I'm just suggesting maybe we should have the same thing for dogs?

Neil.

16. Emmastace

Emmastace PetForums VIP

Totally agree, it would be an ideal solution for many reasons and many dog owners.
    But this country does always seem to find a way to ruin these kinds of things.

17. Polimba

Polimba PetForums VIP

I think the point I'm trying to make is that once you start having designated dog areas, people will then start to get 'funny' about you being in the non- dog area with an offlead dog. I think they will start to see that's where you go with an offlead dog. So although there may not be an official restriction on where you can walk your dog offlead if will become expected. If that makes any sense.

How does it work in the US where it's the norm? Is it ok to walk your dog offlead outside the desginated areas?

How many dogparks are there in the UK? It's not something I've ever seen or heard of here?

18. Emmastace

Emmastace PetForums VIP

I have just asked that question in a US forum to get an opinion from the horses mouth so to speak. I will post when I get replies.

I know of at least two in the UK. One in Hertfordshire and one out Norfolk way I think.

19. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

i spoke to my local council about possibly having a dogpark constructed in one of our bigger parks in the area. they told me to take it to teh parks community project thing, which i did.
    before i met with them though, i asked loads of people if they thought it was a good idea and if they thought it would be a benificial idea. loads did and fully supported my idea.

when i got to the meeting, before i could even fully explain my idea, some people accused me (very viciously) of trying to ban dogs from the park. and that i had set up a petition to ban them. (i will also add that the people who accused me, actually knew the reasons why i suggesting such an idea, coz they knew i had just lost my dog a few months previously, but were still horrendous to me)

all clearly untrue. so with that, i gave up. nobody was interested in hearing what the young girl was suggesting. :rolleyes:

i can see the points made about people getting uptight about dogs then being in all areas of the park offlead when they think they should be in the dog park. but thats not what it is for.

i have thankfully now found a dog park nearby where i live, its not huge, but it does my beagle just fine. :)

20. Emmastace

Emmastace PetForums VIP

That will be three we know of in the UK then.

I think they do have a place as an addition not instead of what already happens.

I have had 4 replies from the US forum and they are the norm there. One person goes to a Dog Park that you rent by the hour so you can have it all to yourself if you wish.....I like that idea. Will copy and paste the US opinion.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice