Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog owners/walkers charged £100 for more than 4 dogs

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Phoenix Rising, May 1, 2017.

1. Phoenix Rising

Phoenix Rising PetForums VIP

2. Nettles

Nettles PetForums VIP

Not sure how I feel about this.. I think it's a good idea for "professional" dog walkers but there are people who own and can successfully manage more than 4 dogs at a time. Many of them do a far better job than people walking one!
    It would also depend on the dogs. They could be 5 well trained, well behaved dogs. Much less of a problem than 1 badly trained, out of control "just wants to play" pain in the ass!

Maxine67, Sairy, Katalyst and 2 others like this.
  3. Phoenix Rising

Phoenix Rising PetForums VIP

Surely it depends on size too? I know someone with 5 dogs but 2 are chihuahua's (well one chi , one chi cross) 1's small-medium, ones medium and I guess other would be classed as large (crossbreed about size of retreiver roughly). Their dogs are really well trained even the tiny ones. I guess if you have a tiny one you could quickly stick it in a rucksack on your back so only appear to have 4..lol!... wouldn't work quite so well if you had 5 medium/large one's!

There's someone round here with loads of mini dachshunds too (at least 6) but she often does have someone else walking with her and walking a couple of them. Don't often see her on her own walking them all at once recently but used to.

4. ouesi

ouesi Guest

From the article:
    "We know most people who own or walk dogs are responsible. The rules are aimed at the minority who aren't."
    Yet again responsible owners suffer because of the actions of irresponsible owners.

Why don't they just prosecute the irresponsible owners under the laws that already exist for keeping your dog under control?

Sairy, Katalyst, Lurcherlad and 3 others like this.
  5. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Again...why is there this obsession with dog walkers having poo bags...

I do always have more than I need, and come back with some but still dogs who may have 'excitement' poo or unknown runs when walking a decent dog owner could be well and truly scuppered.

Whereas those who don't pick up in general carry poo bags and don't get caught when they don't pick up. Have seen a person in my own town, get his poo bag out, make a big song and dance, watching round for people...then pretend to pick up the poo, when itIfs most quiet, because hes there with a poo bag...and walk away with the biggest poo left behind. He caught my eye when he did this because he was not acting natural, and was like 'performing'. The likes of him will get away with it all the time.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  6. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

Limiting the number of dogs a person can walk at a time is not going to make irresponsible people more responsible. If you have 5 or 6 dogs that you don't pick up after or allow to run riot, why would you change your ways just because you have to take them out in smaller groups?

7. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

Completely unenforceable, most councils already have a 4-6 dog limit anyway.

8. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

I had someone have a full on rant at me about not having poo bags whilst I was standing there with a bag of freshly picked up poo in my hands :Bored

Sairy, Katalyst and lullabydream like this.
  9. lullabydream

Your poo bags must be invisible...a bit like myself when I stand at a zebra crossing!

I swear some owners think poo bags are just a nifty fancy attachment for a dogs lead!

Katalyst, Team_Trouble and StormyThai like this.
  10. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

Well, I'd limit to three lol :D

I know it isn't really enforceable ... although I suspect that it would be far easier to report someone for having too many dogs than it is to report someone for a gang of 'out of control' dogs. And I suspect that it is aimed at professional dog walkers too ...in some areas they walk a van load at a time and we've had complaints about that on here.

But seriously, I have six dogs, and with the best will in the world you can't know where each of your dogs are if they are off lead in a park. You don't see them poo. Or harass unsuspecting dogs who are minding their own business. And they can be quite dangerous if they decide to 'pack run' (which is what i call it when all mine decide to run together!). I wouldn't dream of letting mine loose together in a public park....for their own sake as much as everyone elses.

Of course I could try to walk all six together on the lead ....and take up the whole pavement instead. We have a guy round near us who does just that ..some swing into the road too if the pavement is narrow. I cross the road when I see him.

Unfortunately I suspect rightly or wrongly we are in for more and more legislation ...especially in public parks and town areas. The price to pay for less and less green field areas and more and more dogs.

J

Sairy, StormyThai, Lurcherlad and 2 others like this.
  11. steveshanks

steveshanks PetForums VIP

My sister was told 5 poop bags aren't enough she should have at least 10......For one small JRT???

12. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

Lord Almighty!! Who told her that?

13. lullabydream

I remember that...so walking my minibeasts I should take 15!

How many for Maisie the lurcher because she's quite tall but have discovered she poos twice a day...like my other dogs!

14. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

Should've booped them round the face with it:D

Not really, that would be naughty.

(Tempting though)

15. steveshanks

steveshanks PetForums VIP

A dog warden with a policeman at 9.30 on a Sunday morning

16. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

It's not enforceable unless perhaps in very public areas but I agree with it. As above, this is aimed at professional dog walkers, not your average dog owner. The overwhelming majority of dog owners don't own 5 dogs. And of those that do, unless they have access to some very quiet or private land, probably don't walk them all together.

Recently I witnessed a female dog walker with either 9 or 10 dogs all running loose. She'd clearly backed up her van at the edge of the field and allowed all the dogs to jump out. She was my size, 5 foot something and tiny, and absolutely no way on this earth would she be able to control 10 dogs if something kicked off. She looked sheepishly behind when she saw us (I put Juno on the lead when I saw them) and carried on down a narrow bridleway, a pathway I avoid because I don't want to be trapped in by a horse coming my way. What the heck would she do if a horse came her way?!

17. Meezey

Meezey Slave to the Black & Tans and the Trundle Bugs.

Not enforceable but tbh it wouldn't bother me. I never walk all 4 of mine together unless OH is there, not because I physically can't because I don't think I have enough eyes and ears on my own to safely keep an eye in all 4 if off lead and if an on lead incident happen I don't think I could safely control 4 dogs I could manage but it's not worth the risk...

Jamesgoeswalkies and Lurcherlad like this.
  18. bogdog

bogdog PetForums Senior

There was a program on Horse and country about a London dog trainer who walks something like 20 dogs off lead in public parks. How on earth does he pick up all their poo?

19. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I just don't see how someone can be fined for not having a poo bag unless the dog has actually done a poo that can't be picked up? That's punishment before the event.

I have been caught a couple of times and Jack has done an "extra" and when I've gone to get a bag out they had all gone. However, I just picked it up in a tissue so no poo left on the ground. So surely I haven't contravened any law or bylaw?

I can't be fined just in case I break the speed limit.

#19 Lurcherlad, May 1, 2017
    Last edited: May 1, 2017
    Burrowzig, Calvine, Sairy and 3 others like this.
  20. bogdog

bogdog PetForums Senior

Anyway does having loads of poo bags prove that you're going to pick up?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice