Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog Owner Considering a New Breed - Advice Requested

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by RowanWolf, Jul 22, 2009.

1. RowanWolf

RowanWolf PetForums Member

Hey guys :)

I've been a dog owner all my life but after my last boy died I stopped because I have a disability that has slowly gotten worse and I felt and feel currently that I cannot walk regularly enough to keep a dog happy.
    However I'm (after years of trying) finally getting somewhere with my weight issue and this will help my jionts and muscular problems so I'm thinking about a small dog in the future.

I have always owned medium and large dogs though I do have some experience with a few terriers, as my best friend has always owned them.
    I've had collies and GSDs and crosses of them hehe

I'm thinking about looking to rescue a small dog...one that does not need heaps of walking, I'll manage a couple of short to medium walks a day on a good day.
    I also cannot have a breed that typically hates to be left alone as sometimes the dog will be on it's own for an hour or so at a time during the day if I'm away at the festival I go to each year etc..there will be another long time dog owner in the house as I'm living at home again at the moment for some care but they work on and off in the day.

I'll probably look at cross breeds but who knows what the shelters have, especially after the recession.

I'm planning on adding a fence pannel to the side of my house as it is open there at the moment and securing our gate that would be easy for a smaller dog to get through. I have a small garden.

Any tips, advice or suggestions are welcomed.

2. Johnderondon

Johnderondon PetForums VIP

I know you mentioned a small dog but have you considered a retired greyhound?

3. RowanWolf

I have, I love greyhounds and I know they are couch potatos lol, but I'm not sure the person I'm living with would get on with one. Sadly she thinks they are ugly things..I'm trying to convert her.

4. hazel pritchard

hazel pritchard PetForums VIP

You beat me to it :D as soon as i read the op greyhound was my first thought,i know op said a small dog but greyhounds are fantastic dogs and sooooo many need forever homes
    Good luck with your search for a dog.
    I saw a brindle one on Dogs Trust site its markings were fantastic

5. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

maybe i you take her to visit them with you one will steal her heart.

6. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

Have a look on the Oldies Club site...they are bound to have the right dog for you!!! I rehomed a dog last year to a lady who was crippled with athritis, we got a dog in who had been kept in a crate for 8 years (and people don't understand my hatred of crates!!:mad:) and couldn't walk properly himself. They are a match made in heaven and together they have slowly worked to improving both their health and mobility.

So please do check out the Oldies Club and see Adopt An Oldie » Oldies Club

7. RowanWolf

Thank you for the link, there are some lovely dogs on there and I will consider it but I'm not really looking for an old dog.
    I'm hoping to improve on my condition with weight loss, gentle exercise and my medication as it can be done..and I'm only 27 :)
    We got stung a fair bit with our last two dogs when they got older, bless them, they needed a lot of vet care.

8. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

Oh don't be fooled!! Alot of the dogs on there are only 7 or 8...I adopted my 7 year old staffie cross 4 years ago..after being told he only had 2 or 3 years left because of bad hips. Believe me he's no where near popping his wonky old clogs yets!!;)

9. RowanWolf

A little bump for any small dog owners opinions :)

10. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

toy poodles, cocker spaniels....um.....those are my choices - only because i've have/had one :)

11. i was just about to sugest the same breed.:)

#11 My lil Babies, Jul 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2009
  12. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

And i should let you know that toy poodles don't require a lot of exercise really. they are quite energetic but a 20-30 min walk suits them fine so long as they get some mental stimulation and play at home.

13. RowanWolf

Thank you, I'm not a fan of poodles at all though I must say - sorry! hehe

14. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

BUT WHY?

they're darling, sweet and clever dogs :) If you're worried about that poodle cut you don't have to cut them in that cut.

You can check my pics in my profile of my boy and just search a thread called Mika his pics are there although they arent' very recent. :)

15. RowanWolf

I just don't really like them, a friend had two toy poodles and I spent a bit of time around them. Never really got on with that breed.

16. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

What about a jack russel?
    Although they have quite a bit of energy, the one we had was happy to laze about infront of the fire all day, and play in the garden. He could fetch, and would spend hours if you just threw him the ball.
    He was always ready to cuddle up with you to watch tv, yet always ready to come outside with you.
    The jrt I have know have been quite adaptable to the lifestyle they are in, as long as mental stimulation is provided.

Butif I was you I think I would just go visit a rescue when the time is right to get a dog, and just see what smaller dogs they have. :)

x

17. Johnderondon

Johnderondon PetForums VIP

Lol. This is not a problem.

"Honey? I said we'd foster a greyhound for a bit while we look for our perfect dog."

;)

18. flufffluff39

flufffluff39 PetForums VIP

I think a pug would suit you as they love walkies but if you have a bad day they would'nt mind!!!Try a good pug rescue on google :)

19. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

I love hearing from people like you, who are looking to get a rescue. You will be able to offer a great home for the right dog. Just be guided by what the experts at the re-homing centres tell you.

Well done you x :)

20. Patterdale_lover

Patterdale_lover PetForums VIP

Cocker spaniel! :eek:
    They are very high energy and need a good 30-40 min walk twice a day! On top of that lots of stimulation in the house :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice