UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
6,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've always had bitches until 19 years ago , when i decided to keep a male from a litter. Ever since i've had males , have 2 now. I can't get over how much more faithful they are to bitches. The bitches are fine if they know you are around, however the males need body contact i.e. laying over feet , sitting by you lol. Anyone else find this ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've only ever had males but he does sleep on my feet, warm my side when i'm watching TV etc. However if I was to open the front door he'd be out like a shot and i'm sure i'd never see him again :eek:

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
My dog is female and she always has to have contact, she will attempt to sit on me at every opportunity. My sisters dog is male and he is exactly the same so I cant really say I've noticed a difference between either :)

·
Vassal to Lilly and Ludo
33,764 Posts
I have one male and 2 females.

All 3 want to be near thier human family.

Zipper (male) will constantly check where I am on a walk :) - the girls will happily sod off and explore :rolleyes:

Lilly (female) needs to be on my lap at all times during the day until about 9pm whan she takes herself to bed

Missy (female) likes to be laid near or next to you (unless it's hot then she's out in the kitchen cooling off on the tiled floor) but she doesn't ask for physical contact.

Zipper (male) will spend his time 50/50 in his bed or layed pressed up against someone - he'll verbally let you know he wants attention and will physically push his head under your hand and move back and forth to force you to stoke him :D

I don't really see much difference re faithfullness between them - apart from out on walks - they all are very pleased to see me when I come in form work they all love human company - Lilly is more bonded to me as an individual than the others but I think that has a lot to do with the Maltese in her.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Ive only had bitches up to getting Mylo a few weeks ago.
Brekon, my old GSP bitch, was stuck like glue to my children especially the middle one. She moped and cried when they were out of the house. I don't think I have a photo of them without her in it and she slept with middle boy, neither sleeping without the other.
Mia followed me like a shadow indoors until we moved to Somerset and has gradually weaned herself off since we have been here but is still a mummy's girl. Thinking wise she has always been independent and outside the home she doesn't seem to particularly need me around.
I need to wait to see what Mylo turns out like.
I have always heard that as a general tendency boys are more loyal than girls but I expect it depends on breed, type and individual personality.
It would be interesting to see if there is a study on it.

·
Registered
5,724 Posts
I've had both in the past, now I have three dogs and I prefer them. If and when the time comes to have more dogs then my preference would definitely be males.

I've had four bitches, two lots of two, first two bitches put up with each other most of the time but were never ever friends, hated each other for years and needed to be kept apart. Second set were an accident, both rescues, lurcher and greyhound, never separated, couldn't keep them apart, a pair of book-ends, constantly together.

Now I have three boys (all castrated) and their friendship is just fantastic, they've all bonded and gel together and it's just lovely to watch - and, more importantly, there's absolutely no jealousy between them, and they love us both. I also think that, like all good males should, they should learn to listen to us females and do as they're told, first time and every time. :D

*now runs off to hide*

·
Registered
373 Posts
I've had both dogs and bitches, much prefer bitches.

They have their mind on you when out and about, not on finding a bitch.

Can't comment on neutered males, cos I've never kept any.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I see no difference in gender, just personalities :) ever thought it could be the way you treat the boy compared to the girls? It's natural, a lot of people do it without even realising!

The female dogs we have had have been extremely loyal and need hugs and kisses from there humans! Never left our sight on walks :D

My male, who is treated differently as he is my dog rather then a family dog is ten times more loving... To me ... Then the females where. He will run off on walks to adventure and sniff but will constantly check on everyone and even try to round us up if there is distance between whoever I'm walking with. He is very loyal to me even though I now live with 3 other people its me he always comes to. I think it's down to how he has been treated by me rather then gender though.

You can't force a dog to be loving but you can certainly influence it.

·
Registered
17,498 Posts
I used to use a golden retriever forum and they always said with the bitches they wanted you to love them, whereas the dogs just want to love you!

Rupert isn't fussed re bodily contact but he likes to have access to where I am at all times. ie. he is unhappy in the hallway if my bedroom door is shut but is happy in there if my door is open. He is very self confident too, I think he is probably a bit less willing than a bitch...But I find I gel with males better anyway, I prefer geldings over mares etc. She'd have to be something bliddy special for me to take a mare..!

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
Around the house, while they are all affectionate and come up for cuddles, it is usually the bitches that do it more. But out working, the bitches are much more independant whereas I've found boys are want to listen more.

·
Banned
19,241 Posts
Diva is the first bitch I have ever had and she has proved to be a very faithful dog. Ferdie is clingy for his mum, always has been, but Diva just follows me everywhere. I think it is more to do with her lack of human contact before she came here than any gender thing.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Well we are quite new to having a boy, and as such can't say whether it's a male trait or just him. But finally OH has a Daddy's boy. The girls, over the last 20+ years, have always favoured me although they loved him. Bruno likes to go and lie on his Dad!

·
Registered
20,845 Posts
Bella is very loving to a lot more people than Henrick is, he is very selective who he loves, but then its Bella who follows me around and misses me when we go on holiday. I honestly dont think I can pick between them for faithfulness though, they are both faithful just in different ways.

·
Registered
8,343 Posts
I have only had male RC's but I have been told about the fact male ones are more dedicated to the owners (especially women) more then the bitches are.

Just like you, mine love to sit on feet and just touch you in passing and love with devotion.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I used to use a golden retriever forum and they always said with the bitches they wanted you to love them, whereas the dogs just want to love you!
You put it perfectly! I've had 2 bitches and 5 boys and the boys are much more loyal in my experience. The girls have wanted attention but for their own means, the boys just love you.

I will always have boys, I find they're much less wilful and stubborn and just want to please you.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
We've had two boys and a girl.

Inca (the female) is very loyal and never leaves my side. She is Border collie cross and very BC temperament.

The males would take off given chance and they were very 'keen' with other dogs. They weren't particuarly affectionate but would tolerate certain family members giving them a cuddle, especially if you had a treat in your hand.

Inca will come just for a cuddle and to be close to me. But the other two didn't. I feel I have a stronger bond with Inca though cos it's been just us and all the training I've put into her to be my assistance dog.

I'm sure if I put same level of training etc into a young male in my current circumstances, I'd get the same back.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
I always wonder about this and find it very interesting. Both my dogs have been boys and my brother's Lab is a boy too. Our Labs are both extremely affectionate. Dex is especially loyal, I think; on walks if there are a few of us he will always wait for me and turn and look for me. At the park if I use the public loo he will wait outside for me or even come in with me! At home he follows me around almost all of the time.

I can't compare though as have never had a female dog. I would probably always choose a boy.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.