Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Dog obsessed with birds

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by NoodlePoodle, Jan 3, 2018.

1. NoodlePoodle

NoodlePoodle PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone,

I have a 10 month old toy poodle who is a fab little dog. He’s learnt things very quickly and he’s no trouble at all.

Until walking time! He’s started to get OBSESSED with birds and squirrels, It;s a new thing so now he runs off on a mad dash to find them, once onto a road. He watches them IN THE SKY. He used to run off the lead and stay pretty close, always coming to check where i was, but now he completely ignores me. Nothing will get him back once he’s on his crack. He’s even lost interest in other dogs.

Any ideas what I could do?

2. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

He’s becoming a teenager and his prey drive is kicking in. It’s not unusual.

Keep him on a lead/longline/flexi and train, train, train. Work on recall, work on ignoring distractions and focusing on you.

The teenage stage is a pain, and dogs with high prey drive are challenging, but you’ll get there.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice