Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog Nose Bridge Skin Issue

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Tyler777, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Tyler777

Tyler777 PetForums Newbie

Hi All,

I have an issue with the skin on the bridge of my dog's nose and I'm not finding anything like it online. I'm wondering if anyone could help identify what it is.

I noticed the bridge of his nose was bumpy the other day and when rubbing at it, like black bits starting rubbing off, exposing pretty tender looking pink skin underneath. I attached two pictures below.

I showed it to my vet and she didn't know what it was exactly. She gave me meds for some common things she sees like mites, oral antibiotics, and topical antibiotic ointment.

As I apply the ointment, the more black rubs off and exposes more raw pink underneath. When the black bits rub off, it takes some fur with it, so my dog has a pretty big pink spot now.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

nose2.jpg

nose1.jpg

2. Ochre

Ochre PetForums Junior

If you have given the full course of treatment, and there is no improvement, or it is getting worse, I would go back to your vet. That poor nose looks sore but the cause could be anything from a bacterial infection to an autoimmune disease and many things in between. No doubt your vet will be trying a process of elimination to find the problem - treating the most likely cause first and then moving on if that doesn't work. Some problems are very tricky to diagnose as symptoms can appear very similar and often vets will have to use a mixture of experience and intuition to get to the source of the issue. Good luck with your dog and let us know how you get on,

Torin. and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Given that she’s white it could even be sun damage.

Definitely back to the vets imo.

Torin. likes this.
  4. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Is the dog a German Shepherd (either part or whole)? My friends GSD cross had something very similar (but worse) - diagnosed as furunculosis. It did resolve with steroid and antibiotic treatment, but the dog later went on to develop anal furunculosis, which I think is auto immune.
    It may have been triggered by the dog's habit of pushing her snout into loose soil, but GSD's are more prone.

5. Caroline Walker

Caroline Walker PetForums Newbie

My collie started exactly the same way, he has been to the vet and they did a scraping of the scab and the skin, which he took and looked under a microscope,when he came back into the consulting room he said that he couldn’t see anything sinister and he had no idea what it was, he gave me a tube of steroid cream but this has made not a lot of difference, the photo included was taken 3 weeks ago, I will upload one taken today a bit later..

Attached Files:

6. Caroline Walker

Caroline Walker PetForums Newbie

Sorry it’s not very good...

Attached Files:

7. Tyler777

Tyler777 PetForums Newbie

Thanks for each of your replies. Lots of possibilities in here.
    @Lurcherlad: My vet mentioned sun damage as a possibility. My dog doesn't spend much time in the sun though and his fur is very thick.
    @Burrowzig: The dog is not part German Shepard, he's purebred Miniature American Eskimo. Furunculosis is interesting. It looks like it affects the same area of the muzzle.
    @Caroline Walker: The issue with your collie looks exactly the same as my eskie. The affected area is the same. There is a little black line or border around the affected area. Our vet took a sample of the scab and looked under the microscope too. She said she didn't anything sinister either, just some red blood cells and white blood cells.

We took our dog to the off-leash dog park six days before we noticed the symptoms. When leaving the park, my dog had very bright, perhaps neon yellow substance on his face in the same areas where the scabs developed - on his muzzle and a little between his eyes. It could have been urine but maybe something else? I washed it off when we got home but maybe some residue was still there. @Caroline Walker: Did your collie have any unusual substances on his muzzle about a week before the symptoms? @All: Could such an issue be the result of something passed through urine?

I attached an updated photo of my dog. All of the black bits have been rubbed off now and nothing new has developed. It is not as tender or raw as it was a week ago. The size of affected area is the same. This is after 9 nine days into the vet's 21 day treatment cycle.

Attached Files:

8. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Glad to see it’s looking better and seems to be clearing up.

Seems like that yellow substance might have been the culprit. Wonder what it was though?

9. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Looks like it's healing nicely.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice