UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello everyone,

This is my 1st post! Looking to sire our sweet natured, lovely German Shepard cross dog Saba. She is a lovely little thing and short of cloning her, we'd like to keep her bloodline going. She's 4 and 1/2 years old and due a season in December. My family has a history of breeding Yorkshire Terriers that have been registered with the Kennel Club, as I have never bred with any of my own dogs, I feel I have enough advice and experience at my disposal.

We live in the Herts and Essex area and travel wouldn't be a problem but we do have a large garden and a lot of space to accommodate your dog.

Payment can be in the form of pick of the litter or negotiated at a later time.

If anyone is interested please email or call.

Kindest regards,

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
You clearly love your dog very much, however the route you are planning to take is not a wise one.

How will you find homes for the other puppies? Mum & dad have not had health tests how would you feel if the pups developed hip problems or worse? How would you feel if you lost mum during birthing? as 4 and a half is quite old for a first litter.

There's also no proof the puppies will be anything like mother.

Look in my sig you will see my GSD cross Scorcher, I took her on when she was 7 as a rescue, sadly a couple of months back (age nearly 13) I had to make the heart breaking decision to have her put to sleep as she was riddled with health conditions. (hip problems, elbow problems and anal problems all of which are genetic to German shepherds) her health appeared to be fine until she turned 8, so you can't be sure your girl wont have similar problems later in life.

Enjoy your girl for what she is and maybe go to a rescue center for another GSD cross or a breeder for a GSD (Health tested) puppy at some point in the future.

·
Registered
8,888 Posts
I don't think any reputable breeder would offer their dog out to a GSD x, nor do I think 'keeping her bloodline going' is a good idea. Why breed more crossbreed pups that may well end up rescue or being passed from pillar to post just so you can have one pup of your own to keep back? Why not just research lines from a reputable breeder and get one of their pups?

·
Follow me on @popuppetstop on insta
4,131 Posts
I don't think any reputable breeder would offer their dog out to a GSD x, nor do I think 'keeping her bloodline going' is a good idea. Why breed more crossbreed pups that may well end up rescue or being passed from pillar to post just so you can have one pup of your own to keep back? Why not just research lines from a reputable breeder and get one of their pups?
yep that............

·
Super Moderator
29,632 Posts
There's plenty of GSD crosses in rescue- both adults & puppies. My GSD has an amazing temperament, but for all I know she could be a carrier of many hereditary diseases that can affect the breed.
Please do the kind thing & don't subject your un health tested dog to the risks of having a litter when so many lovely crossbreeds already need homes:(

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
Hello everyone,

This is my 1st post! Looking to sire our sweet natured, lovely German Shepard cross dog Saba. She is a lovely little thing and short of cloning her, we'd like to keep her bloodline going. She's 4 and 1/2 years old and due a season in December. My family has a history of breeding Yorkshire Terriers that have been registered with the Kennel Club, as I have never bred with any of my own dogs, I feel I have enough advice and experience at my disposal.

We live in the Herts and Essex area and travel wouldn't be a problem but we do have a large garden and a lot of space to accommodate your dog.

Payment can be in the form of pick of the litter or negotiated at a later time.

If anyone is interested please email or call.

Kindest regards,

While I appreciate the emotional reasons of maybe wanting to breed from her and keep a pup which is understandable, there are many good reasons why its likely not a good idea.

Shes already a cross, and also as their is no stipulation what you want to cross her with just that you want a sire and even if you did find one, doesnt mean that the pups will turn out anywhere near the same in looks and personalities, they are after all going to inherit 50% of their genes from the mum and 50% from the Dad whatever he ends up being.

At 4 1/2 getting on for 5 she is also an older bitch to be having a first litter.

I also noticed you said shes a lovely little thing too, if shes on the small side and again depending what you crossed her with it could cause whelping problems if the puppies are large or too large to pass through the birth canal.
If you did need a cesar then your looking at well into four figures for a vet bill.

Also what about the other pups in the litter, dogs homes are full as it is with pedigrees as well as crosses including pups and young dogs. People often buy dogs on a whim and then realise they are more work then they thought so they end up going from one home to another, or end up in rescue or worse unless they are very lucky, 100s are dogs are put down as strays and because there is no rescue places or homes for them.

Just before you go ahead Im just asking you to stop and think of the implications for her health wise and the long term placement of any puppies you may breed. Im sure your family will also tell you to breed and raise puppys properly isnt cheap at the best of times and thats without medical complication and things like cesars and vet bills.

Reactions: Dogless

·
Registered
20,845 Posts
I know you want to get another version of your girl to keep when you finally loose her but it doesnt work like that, all the bits that went into your girl did just that, they went into her, her life experiences and the mix of her parents made her. Even if you could clone her, you couldnt make a dog just like her. Any pups will be a mix of her and the father and will be themselves, they wont be her.
All these reasons dont even take into account any hereditory illnesses that at her age may not have become apparent, I love both my dogs but they are both neutered for their safety and because I dont want to carry out health tests or breed from them. I dont want to loose my girl during carrying and giving birth to them and I dont want to leave her unneutered as its a huge risk of pyrometra, as your girl gets older the risk increases.
Do her the biggest favour you could do for her, get her neutered and love her just because she is a one off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the advice guys, myself and my better half have had a chat and we think maybe the rescue dog route may be the best idea. Saba is already a rescue dog anyway!

Thanks again,

Dan.

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
Thanks for all the advice guys, myself and my better half have had a chat and we think maybe the rescue dog route may be the best idea. Saba is already a rescue dog anyway!

Thanks again,

Dan.
There are so many dogs in rescue of all sorts and ages, Im sure that you will find one with no trouble its also giving one the chance of a wonderful home too just like Saba has. So glad you have decided against it for her sake.
Wish you well with finding the new addition and a pal for Saba.

·
Registered
8,888 Posts

Thanks again,

Dan.
So glad you're having a think about it. It's not even just the pups, if your bitch has such a good temperament you wouldn't want to risk ruining that. Some bitches can change completely after the stress of a litter, becoming aggressive etc. Much better to just enjoy he as she is. :)

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
Glad you have reconsidered. There are so many reasons NOT to breed from your girl, but the otherwhelming one is that it is totally unethical and unwise to breed from a rescue dog. Most rescues have a non-breeding contract and would expect her to be spayed.

·
Banned
3,379 Posts
Definitely the best decision for you and your bitch......so much involved in breeding......some of it breaks your heart.......of course there are great upsides to breeding but for a one off litter for a pup .....really.....not advisable.....particularly at your bitchs age. Best wishes with finding a new dog to add to your family.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.