Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog may have faced traumatic events in his past / Or might be socially awkward

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Kiruka, Jul 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kiruka

Kiruka PetForums Newbie

So it all started around 4-5 years ago, a brand new dog! His name is 'Little bit', he has White fur, and some pastel brown on some parts around his fur. A really cute dog!

Whenever you hold something, whether it be a hammer, pencil, doesn't matter really what it is, he kinda.. goes from 'Excited' to a bit 'low key', he's closer to the floor, so to say. We bought him while he was 4 months old, and I'm unsure if he's face some type of abuse from the original owner. (The owner did not have any certificate for it, or anything for health, like shots, we should've contacted the police.)

At first, he was inside 'full-time', we let him out a few times a day to do his thing, and then all of a sudden, (For a later story) we had to then have him outside most of the time. I'm now on letting him inside more often, (While it rains, ect [He isn't ever out in the rain, he always has something covering him from it]) and he is 'low-key', and he doesn't ever want to really go outside. I can kinda assume that he's 'low-key' while inside because he wants to stay inside. Although I'm curious on what I can do about the previous owner that probably abused him. (We also bought a different dog, a Female one, they were brother and sister, and whenever she saw my mother, she barked, and my mother looks a bit similar to the person who sold them to us.)

Untitled.jpg
    (Here's a little something I made a few months ago.)

2012-01-01_12.10.20.jpg

2. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Is your bitch living inside and the dog outside?

leashedForLife likes this.
  3. MiffyMoo

MiffyMoo PetForums VIP

I think we draw a line under this post, it's not going to go well

4. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

It's been deleted thankfully.

MiffyMoo likes this.
  5. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Administrator
    Staff Member

I have edited the foul language , unfortunately this involved Sweety's post too as a quotation.

MiffyMoo and Rafa like this.
  6. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Thanks.

SusieRainbow likes this.
  7. jojora

jojora PetForums Junior

When you say low-key, do you mean he acts submissive towards the object? My pup was originally very nervous around us holding things as well. What worked for me was lots and lots of positive reinforcement and turning it into a fun game. I grabbed a few household items and put them in a bag. Then I sat down on the floor with the bag and a lot of treats. I'd give the pup a few treats, then pull out an object. She would lower her head or back away out of fear, but I'd put the object down and give her more treats. Then I'd pick it up again and simultaneously give more treats. We'd do this until I could pick up the object and she didn't react (except to look to me for food) and then we'd move on to the next object in the bag. It took a few days of this to get her completely over the fear, but now she pays no mind to us holding objects at all.

8. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Administrator
    Staff Member

Sorry, I thought I'd closed this.:Locktopic

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice