Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog "marking" in the house.

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by lasthidingplace, Jul 15, 2009.

1. lasthidingplace

lasthidingplace PetForums Newbie

I'm not sure what has happened here - our dog is roughly 1 year 2 months old now, and we did have him house trained for a little while. However, in the last 4 months or so he's been peeing everywhere in our house.

First it started with him wetting his own bed, which I thought was very strange. But nearly every morning, he'd have weed on it.

Then one day it happened on our bed - he'd jump on it while we weren't looking, wet it, and leave. He's since done in several times. He will still do that if we leave the room "unattented" or the door open, but he also wees on rugs and against couches. If we're in the room however (as he sleeps next to us), he will not wee on it.

Now, he's not neutered - could that be the reason? I'm just at my witts end...he knows that he should be going outside, and it's not that we don't let him out. For example, he'd been outside for 5 hours the other day, then as soon as we let him in the house he instantly weed in the middle of the lounge carpet.

When he wees, we don't yell or smack him but he instantly goes outside and is left there for a few hours (that's his punishment). He doesn't seem to be learning, though he KNOWS he's done wrong because if we catch him doing it he does that guilty crawling thing that dogs do...

In case it matters, he's a Labrador cross (with what, we're not sure); he's small Lab with a little white beard. (Haven't got a pic to hand right now unfortunately...)

Any advise would be really really helpful...

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Firstly id have him vet checked incase there is an underlying health issue.

Secondly, sticking him outside for hours on end is cruel. He will have no idea why you are doing it to him.

How did you toilet train him? Do you still go outside with him, encourage him to go to the toilet and reward him for doing so?

It sounds like he doesnt know where its appropriate to toilet, which is down to inconsistent training.

3. lasthidingplace

I've been wondering about health issues myself, so that is one thing I will be doing.

I don't see how him being outside is cruel in the slightest - he has a massive kennel with a nice comfy bean bag, lots of area to run around and he has toys and water outside also. Plus, he stays outside during the day (when its not cold / raining), as we're at work and I don't want to cage him into the kitchen (he would chew the house to bits if we didn't, like my PlayStation controller RIP).

I've been told by many sources that when he's naughty, ignore him for an hour or so, so coupled with the fact that what he's doing is peeing in the house, I put him outside!

When we trained him I went outside with him on a constant basis, waiting for him to wee (man, sometimes he'd wait me out for an hour!!) and then praise him like he just saved someones life when he did good. I never did the whole treat thing though, because again advise I was given is that it could turn him into a fatty fatty fatty.

I'm just not sure what else to do, as he WAS trained for a good few months.

4. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

Hi and welcome to the forum.I would start by not letting him upstairs and set the boundries as to where he can go in the house.For me i'd only allow him downstairs to start with at least.Once he has "marked" an area he will be able to smell where he has wee'd and will keep doing so_One good way to stop him smelling where he has been is to use either non bio washing powder or white vinigar,anything that has bleach in it will attract him.Hope this helps.:D:D:D

5. poochimama

poochimama PetForums Senior

my mum had a problem with her crestie he went on my sons bed when he stayed there ..only did it on that bed no other .. vet reckoned it was an alpha male thing so now no dogs allowed upstairs in her house she had a stair gate put up

6. lasthidingplace

So if we used a product that has Bleech in it, this is likely to attract him back to wee again? I'm pretty sure that's exactly what we do...

I have been thinking about (except at night, as I said he sleeps next to us in the room) stopping him from going upstairs by getting one of those "doors"; the only problem is, we have four cats and one of them wouldn't be able to get over the gate himself Still might try it, though...

Our main problem with him in general is that he doesn't listen to me - for example, I'll tell him not to do something and he'll listen...for two minutes...and then he'll just go back and start doing whatever it was I told him not to do all over again. Rinse and repeat.

This sounds like I really don't like my dog - that's not the case. I love him to bits; he's easily the most lovable animal I've ever seen in my entire life - all he wants from us is for us to love him. He's also 100% non-aggressive and trusting.

Thanks for all your help with this so far, kind forum members :D

7. Bobbie

Bobbie PetForums VIP

I think the wetting of his own bed is to keep other males away so maybe if he is castrated this will stop.

8. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

Haha i have the same problem with one of my poodles,he knows exactly what i'm saying and what i want him to do,but he's like a big kid and loves to tease.I'm not complaining either as i think thats what makes his charactor what it is. And like you i use to use bleach to clean the wee up lol what a waste of time,but we live and learn.;):D:D

9. Savahl

Savahl Guest

my first instinct would be get him checked out for any health problems (bladder infection etc) if thats all ok, then start back from basics. Simply putting him out and expecting the business isnt good enough, catch him doing it outside and praise him big time! How else will he know its good? Also i wold say ignoring him for an hr or more is too much, 5 or 10mins is ample. Much more than that and he wont even remember why hes there, will just make him bored and more excited when he is allowed back in.

10. lasthidingplace

Well I didn't know that till this conversation, so even if nothing else that's one step closer to stopping him doing this. I've been using vanish recently - what a rubbish product. It vanishes nothing!!!!

But all "potty training" tips are more than welcome - I'm wondering if it's when my band mate brought his dog to my house...they did NOT get on, and ever since it seems he's gone down hill.

Maybe i have been a bit excessive with that then - part me following advise, and part me being, honestly, annoyed with him for weeing on my newly washed rug.

And I will admit that we've NOW just been putting him out and expecting, but that's only because I did train him once - but perhaps starting from scratch will be the only thing we can do now.

11. Savahl

Savahl Guest

I think this is pretty common :) but seeing as he seems to have forgotten the rules, starting from scratch may be the key - this happens more often than you would think :)

But first and foremost just check that its not a health problem...especially if he is wetting his own bed it may be a bladder infection.

12. lasthidingplace

I thought that, but he never seems to be in any pain, and he clearly seems to be able to hold it all in (for example, when he's been outside and then comes back into the house and wee's immediately).

But as we're getting him fixed in the not too distant future, I'll certainly ask the vet to rule things like that - I don't want him to be unhappy.

13. hazel pritchard

hazel pritchard PetForums VIP

I had to retrain an elderly dog i had to wee outside,she all of a sudden started doing it in the house,after all the vet checks found out health was ok,so i would take her outside for a wee and when she did it outside i said "wee" and gave her atreat ,after a few days she was going outside and weeing,on her own i still went out and gave her a treat,then after awhile i would let her go out ,have a wee but not let her see me watching her,so she was weaned off the treats,it just became habit again for her to wee outside again
    Good luck

14. lasthidingplace

Jack understands Wee Wees, but I have the feeling he just thinks that means he's going outside - when I say it, he gets all excited and runs to the back door.

I think I'll start with the treats again - we really need to spend a lot of time with him, training-wise!

The question is; for a dog who's just over the one year old mile stone, how often would you guesstemate that he'd need to be let out to wee?

15. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

When a dog does not listen to it's owner it is a lack of respect. Your dog probably loves you, but he does not see you as the pack leader, otherwise your word would be gospel!

As for time out..... After a few minutes of time out the dog will NOT remember why it is out there. When training or disciplining a dog, you have up to 10 seconds to reward or correct behaviour. After this time, the dog has no idea why it is being treated like this.

The problem with disciplining with house training is that the dog see's it as you are disciplining it for going to toilet not for the location.

My advice:

* GEt your dog neutered (male dogs mark their scent)
    * Get the vet to check the dog out to rule out medical problems.
    * Go back to basics with toilet training. Positive reinforcement only - time out is a waste of time!
    Finally, assert yourself as pack leader so your dog does not ignore you :)

16. lasthidingplace

It's more of a case that he doesn't ALWAYS listen to me, or rather he listens to me for a short while then "forgets" or "decides" to do it again anyway.

Most of the time, I can either simply point or click my fingers and he'll go to the spot I want him to - things like that - so he does listen to me sometimes. Perhaps what you've said is the reason, but I like to think he knows that I'm the pack leader - its my partner that I'm sure he doesn't respect. When she yells at him though...that even scares me, so he sure listens then.

We most certainly fell into the trap at the start of rowing him hours after he did something; unless you have had dogs before (I've grown up with dogs, but they were always my parents' dogs and so I never did any training with them) it's hard not to expect they'd remember that an hour ago they pissed on your carpet and that's why you're yelling. Then they start crawling around on the floor and you say "See - he knows what he's done", yet he's just worried because you're yelling for some odd reason.

So a long while back we started with the ignor the good praise the bad routine, but it just doesn't seem to be working terribly well for us. He's great in every other aspect (obedient etc), except for on the lead...but that's a whole different topic that I'm sure I'll create in the future :blushing:

Again, thanks for everyone's help, and I'm still open to every and all suggestions. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice