Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

dog lunging at other dogs when walking

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Elle.w, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Elle.w

Elle.w PetForums Newbie

Hi,

I have a 2 and a half year old male, neutered lhasa apso and would very much like to get him companion. My problem is when we are walking on a lead and he sees another dog he lunges towards and barks at the other dog. When he is off the lead in the fields he is fine just has a sniff and on we go. :confused1:
    How do I get him to stop this as I need him to be able to walk on his lead properly before I can get another dog.
    Thanks in advance

2. shrek_0

shrek_0 PetForums Junior

I had a similar problem with my saint bernard, not agression in him just super excited,but with me on the end of a lead holding a 13 stone dog I looked ridiculous, I bought a dogmatic head collar which worked great for me not being dragged everywhere, but didnt address the issue. I was then told about this stuff called pet corrector, is like an aerosol can that make a very loud ceasar milan SSSHHHTTT noise(thatsthe only way I can describe it) everytime I knew he'd want to go drag me over and greet someone I firmly say NO and immediately squirt it at the side of or over the top of his head,it completely distracted him everytime, he hated it.within 10 day he was on a slip lead and Ive had no problems since, a simple firm NO now works, but I only need to do that much now if he even bothers looking,lol having said that, my other saint, who is no real bother to walk or greet,I have tried it on him on the rare occasion hes been a pain and id doesnt phase him at all lol.

3. Elle.w

Elle.w PetForums Newbie

Yes thats exactly it , not aggresive but over excited. I've tried spraying water but as hes so low down (the opposite to you St.Bernard:lol:) it just gave him a light misting! however I will certainly try the pet corrector.

Thanks for you help

4. shrek_0

shrek_0 PetForums Junior

LOL, I dont think water would have worked for me either, he too furry to notice, unless I walked him with a bucketful. I swear by the corrector, though Im sure other will having differing opinions, but it just a sound(quite a loud one) and therefore involves no tug of war, shouting arguing and cursing or whatever happens when you usually walk :) It comes in 2 differnt sized red cans I bought the big one coz he swas such a pain in the bum I thought Id need it all and some more,but we didnt even finish the can, I would recommend the small can simply because its easier to hold in the other hand when you are walking.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice