Dog lovers registration club a con?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by GizmoMogwai01, Feb 7, 2018.

1. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Commander of a tiny, furry army
    Staff Member

And I have never said there is:rolleyes: I'm no fan of many of the Kennel Club's ideals so there's no point in trying to label me as a pedigree snob;)

But at least with the Kennel Club there is the possibility of finding a breeder with better ethics, with something like DLRC or DWKC they are just a marketing tool for the dishonest to fleece the unwary (or not bothered) into thinking they're buying a registered dog with a reputable lineage.

This isn't just an opinion, it's a fact, & I know of at least 2 incidences where these shoddy little fly-by-night organisations have registered animals that don't even exist- one of these animals is a soft toy, & the other is a 'wild boar' coloured Rottweiler that doesn't even exist.

Blitz and ouesi like this.
  2. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

Nor did I imply you are a pedigree snob. Then again as soon as people point out the problems with "pedigree" and kennel club they will take offence as though it's a personal attack.

"Possibility".. How many puppy farms use the kennel club to register pups? Most people don't have a clue about "reputable lineage' and wouldn't recognise one if they saw one. I'm not exactly stupid in terms of researching a dog and breeder but I wouldn't have a clue as to a reputable lineage. Again what some people define reputable line and others would could be argued.

I'm not going to link an example but I spent 3 minutes before I found puppies for sale from a less than reputable source. KC Registered coming with all pedigree and bloodline information of both parents etc and 5 weeks free kennel club insurance as part of the sales pitch.

Now the Kennel Club also have the assured breeders scheme but not sure what the status is of that now. I do know it had startup problems but was definately a step in the right direction. To the public at large who unfortunately do not do research the perception is "pedigree" and kennel club registered is the kennel club's approval of the breeder. You and I know that is false. Does the kennel club to anything to correct this misconception? Do others or do they take offence at any criticism?

#22 Goblin, Feb 9, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  3. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Commander of a tiny, furry army
    Staff Member

I completely agree, but they're not going to give up the revenue from BYBs & PFs.

They do still run the ABS, but a lot of good breeders no longer participate as it's open to anyone who jumps through some fairly low set hoops. Health testing prerequisites are all well & good but I've seen puppy farmers to have AB status so I wouldn't say it's the benchmark of quality the KC touts it as.

4. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

And until people do their research before buying a puppy... If people did their research the "pedigree papers" wouldn't be an issue either.

simplysardonic likes this.
  5. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I think the breed societies set the standard. The KC is just a registration body with a lot of background so that you can really look into what you are buying. Neither of mine are registered because it did not bother me but most of my ones in the past have been. How can you breed from your dog if you do not know its lines and you cannot show if it is not registered. You can check up on health tests with a registered dog too.

simplysardonic likes this.
  6. SpicyBulldog

SpicyBulldog PetForums Senior

Yup that's the problem. It's very ridiculous they need to educate themselves and research. Since these buyers don't care about researching ancestry and the actual breeder, it's why they come in these forums or even complain to me directly face to face about their pet shop or buy dogs health issues, like you bought the dog from a bad source without ever glancing at the pedigree or without a pedigree at all. Now they are mad or heartbroken because their dog requires an expensive surgery, must be put to sleep, or has passed or suffers from a chronic illness.

Not to even mention the genetic temperament issues.

7. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

Yet the Kennel Club actually still encourages breeding against health and advertises poor breeding to be the ideal.

8. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

When do they do this

9. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

The Kennel Club don't write Breed Standards, the Breed Clubs do and then submit to the Kennel Club for approval.

The K. C. are very limited in what they can do about poor breeding practises. They are taking some action though.

About 3 years ago, quite a few Best of Breed winners at Crufts were not allowed to progress to the Group. From memory, the Bassett Hound, the Bulldog, the Clumber Spaniel and the Pekingese were among them.

Those in the best position to change things for the better are the Judges. If they penalised any dog for being over exaggerated, unsound or unhealthy, the situation could change relatively quickly.

Nobody who shows dogs would waste time, money and effort producing pups which were going to be penalised and unplaced in the showring.

SpicyBulldog and Blitz like this.
  10. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

Try the Illustrated Breed Standards 2017 for a start. 10 years after pedigree dogs exposed the Kennel Club has basically done lip service to changing the plight of many breeds. No shock considering they are simply a registration system and some, not all, breed clubs do not want change.

11. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

So why are you blaming the kennel club. Pedigree dogs exposed was mainly a load of rubbish anyway which did a great deal of harm as now so many people think they are better off buying unregistered or cross breed dogs who have been bred with no care at all.

lullabydream and Rafa like this.
  12. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

That's a side effect because it highlighted the truth about some breeds and breeding practices which were and still are accepted and condoned by many. Interesting that you highlight the problem that people looked elsewhere, not that the problems highlighted didn't a exist as your first response isn't it.

Stated on the front page of the Kennel Club yet they condone breeding of unhealthy animals due to conformation.

13. SingingWhippet

SingingWhippet PetForums VIP

The very system the KC promote, that of completely distinct breeds each with their own closed stud book, is inherently damaging and inevitably leads to more health issues and a decline in general vitality as the genetic diversity of each breed is reduced. Yes, they have the unverified parentage scheme but they certainly don't seem to be encouraging its use (which they really should be given the dire state of many breeds in terms of genetic diversity) and it's very difficult to find much information on what the scheme is achieving so far.

14. SpicyBulldog

SpicyBulldog PetForums Senior

I'd like to see where KC encouraged people to actually breed against health? I'm not familiar with the KC.

Blitz likes this.
  15. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

What else are they doing by accepting breed standards and conformation which leads to health problems and showing extreme examples as what to aim for in their own publications? The problem is breeders pay the kennel club and breeders do not want to change the look they love in their breed even when it's a recognised problem. Obviously this doesn't apply to all breeds, breeders or breed clubs.