Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog losing weight?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by marie louise, Jan 15, 2021.

1. marie louise

marie louise PetForums Member

My dog, nearly 12 was on medication for arthritis...carprodyl quadri (think it's also known as carpofren and rimadyl) had to stop after a few days as straight away she started vomiting andwand off her food. Since then she has had watery diarrhea and still not went back to eating her food but will eat small amounts of other food I try offering her. She will take a few bites then get an uncomfortable look in her face and just stop eating. She was at the vets who gave her injection incase she had picked up a bug and given probiotic paste which she had one more day left and still no improvement. At the vets, she was weighed. She has lost 2kg in the space of a month. Today all she has eaten is some soft treats and refused everything else. She looks like she wants to eat at times though. Just wondering if anyone else's dog has had this reaction and what helped? What do you think could be wrong? Reading up on the medication I'm seeing other dogs have had the same symptoms which led them to having to be put to sleep so really hoping to hear some good outcomes.

2. marie louise

3. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I have no advice but if you stopped the medication quickly not quite sure why it is still affecting her. Hopefully your vet will get to the bottom of it soon.

4. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

It could be she feels nauseous or acidy and is associating that with eating.

There are meds that can help so I’d call the vet first thing tomorrow.

Have you tried hand feeding her some raw mince? All our dogs and cats found that hard to resist and I think it’s easy on the tum?

5. marie louise

I was thinking the same thing. Was stopped early so shouldn't be affecting her unless it's possible that even though it was stopped early could have effected her liver or pancreas or something? Read up on the medication and honestly sounds terrible, dogs having to be PTS etc I was thinking nauseous because she does want to eat or will but gets a certain look and stops after a few bites. One of my cats who had a few Problems and suffered naseau used to do this. Just not sure what is causing her to feel that

6. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Has the vet done a blood panel? With a rather old dog that's what I'd do. The symptoms could be caused by kidney failure, or a tumour.

7. marie louise

She has just had a blood test to check liver and kidneys should get results tomorrow. The symptoms started the first night of the medication being started

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice